PlantFiles: Snap Pea, Edible-podded Pea
Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon 'Sugar Snap'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pisum (PEES-um) (Info)
Species: sativum var. macrocarpon
Cultivar: Sugar Snap

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Late Fall/Early Winter

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Thumbnail #1 of Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon by dave

Thumbnail #6 of Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon by carminator1

By ladyannne
Thumbnail #7 of Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon by ladyannne

Neutral NicoleC On Mar 28, 2013, NicoleC from Madison, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

64 days from direct seed to harvest. Produces a good tasting fruit but was has not been very productive in either year I grew them.

Positive crisslyon On Aug 20, 2012, crisslyon from Arp, TX wrote:

The first three years I grew these they exploded and they were coming out of my ears. I'd send the kids out to pick and they'd wind up grazing like cattle and come back with only handfuls too full for dinner. I then moved to a location that had clay soil which apparently is not good for these. Last year I had a horrible drought and only got a handful from a 50' row and this year I had soaking rains and they turned a nasty color yellow, again only a handful. Because of my poor soil I have gone to raised beds and I expect to be once again up to my ears in peas this fall and winter.

Positive BambooSue On Sep 20, 2011, BambooSue from Silver Spring, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Every time I harvested, none of these seemed to make it to the kitchen. They'd get eaten while I was still in the garden. I also loved the new growth of the leaves (tender and nutty, but not spicy like arugula), which probably explains why mine never got very tall.

For this one plant, I am my own garden pest. Going to plant more next year so I won't graze it down so badly.

Positive haas9359 On Jun 10, 2007, haas9359 from Lewiston, ID wrote:

I am a mere first time gardener and these have done beautifully even with my inexperienced hand. Just yesterday I picked a bunch of pods which were crisp, tender and sweet enough to eat raw. In fact, despite my best intentions, none of them ended up in the dish they were planned for... eaten out of hand instead.

Positive Kameha On Apr 24, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

These are such an easy veggie to grow. Just provide them with a trellis, some organic matter in the soil, and water and they just zoom right up even in chilly weather (which they prefer). We grow them in late fall and winter down here in Florida and they produce wonderfully. They provide their own nitrogen with nitrogen fixing bacteria like all legumes so don't worry about feeding them with a fertilizer containing nitrogen. I got 5 huge crops from my pea vines before high winds blew them over and I had to remove them. The dead vines are wonderful fertilizer if you turn them under the soil...they release lots of nitrogen. They also make good organic mulch dried.

Positive Farmerdill On Jan 4, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is the original snap pea and still the best one that I have grown. Holds for a long time before becoming tough and fibrous. (70 day) Its only disadvantage is the humongous vines. Trellis is an absolute necessity. Introduced in 1979 by Novartis/Gallatin Valley.

Neutral dave On Nov 3, 2000, dave wrote:

Sugar snap peas are one of my favorite vegetables to grow. Indeterminate, these will grow and grow and grow until you pinch off the tops to encourage fruit production.

I usually let them get about 6 feet tall before pinching. Make sure that they have good support, backing them up against some lattice, or putting a cage around them.

The pods get fairly fat and about 4 inches in length. They are intended to be eaten whole-pod. Just trip the ends off and you're ready to eat. I think they are delicious both uncooked and cooked.

Madison, Alabama
Silver Spring, Maryland
Efland, North Carolina
Vinton, Ohio
Spencer, Oklahoma
Portland, Oregon (2 reports)
Barnwell, South Carolina