PlantFiles: Dragon Tree, Dracaena, Cornplant, Chinese Moneytree
Dracaena fragrans 'Lemon Lime'

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Dracaena (dra-SEE-nah) (Info)
Species: fragrans (FRAY-granz) (Info)
Cultivar: Lemon Lime
Additional cultivar information: (Deremensis Group)

Synonym:Aletris fragrans

Cream/Tan

Variegated
Bronze-Green

From hardwood cuttings

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By Lilith

By knotimpaired
Thumbnail #7 of Dracaena fragrans by knotimpaired

Positive elden On Sep 6, 2014, elden from Redondo Beach, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

it's growing effortlessly in my northside yard! zone 10b

Neutral Mangogirl On Jun 16, 2013, Mangogirl from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Dracaena are sensitive to fluoride in tap water. Water with unfluoridated water or rain water.

Positive ElleninAustin On Jun 14, 2013, ElleninAustin from Anderson Mill, TX wrote:

I have purchased this plant at the grocery store, of all places, on multiple occasions. I only use it indoors, and I almost never water it, yet it grows and remains healthy if it sits near indirect light (I live in sunny Austin, Tx). In the first year or so, I watered it more often and saw more black tips.
My favorite things about the lemon-lime plant are it's ability to go weeks without water, and the fact that it tends to allow a single leaf to blacken and die, versus all of the leaves darkening. I also keep mine on an enclosed porch with lots of spiders and other pests, and it is never damaged, unlike my other house plants. Now I give this plant as a teacher gift because it can live in an office and survive neglect, and the colors are modern and quite gorgeous. Love this one!

Positive Plants4myPots On Jan 20, 2011, Plants4myPots from Palm Bay, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I think the negative folks who are having trouble with brown edges are just overwatering and/or giving it too much sun. I've had this plant in a northeast (lowlight) window for a while, and forget to water it very often, and it's limey green and healthy as can be with new growth indoors in FL winter.

The couple dracaenas I have seem to do better when I try really hard NOT to water them very much. I know the Plantfile for this plant say to "water regularly", but it also says "don't overwater." So, let 'em dry out a bit before you water them, and then give it a good drench.

Positive jskyieeyes3 On Sep 16, 2010, jskyieeyes3 from Saint Cloud, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

i bought my dracaena fragrans "lemon lime" warneckii at lowe's as a clearance plant. (i tend to buy clearance plants a lot because i feel bad for them and want to nurse them back to health..lol) for the first few months i kept it in the house, and it just seemed to be going further downhill, so i moved it outside to the partial shade. it's taken almost a year, but it's finally coming back, and it's just gorgeous! for those of you who have the problem with leaf burn/brown tips: these are floride sensitive plants. in fact, all dracaenas are. you shouldn't water them with tap water. what i do is keep two, 5 gallon buckets in my garden area, fill them up, and let the water sit for two days. it takes that long for the floride to dissapate out of the water (along with other chemicals and water additives that can harm your plants). they're also handy for catching rainwater, which we all know is full of yummy nutrition that plants love. =) if you're unable to do the buckets, simply flushing the plant every few months is very beneficial. it brings the level of flouride in the soil down to the level the tap water is, and gets rid of all the excess. dracaenas can be a bit finicky to care for, but they're a very varied species of plant, and i personally enjoy many of them! hope this helps! =)

Negative wormfood On Jan 22, 2009, wormfood from Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've had mine 3 years and the last 2 it's got the brown edges and poor appearance. I think I'm over watering. I've tried repotting, twice, and different places of sunlite and shade. It's got a big root system so it's in a big pot with lots of dirt that takes a long time to dry out. So that's all I can think of. It looks like tomato blight.

Put a large squirt of palmalive dish soap in gallon of water, soaked plant roots for a good half hour then flushed it from the soil and let it get pretty dry before watering again. Plant is doing great. Change this one to a positive.

Positive Joely08 On Dec 6, 2008, Joely08 from Genoa, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant, when grown correctly, is very beautiful. The colors on the plant, Green and Yellow-Green along with small white stripes separating the two colors provide beauty in any room of the house this is planted (I'm in zone 5A, it's an indoor plant.)
The plants name, fragrans, come because the flowers are said to be highly fragrant, yet I have been unsuccessful on getting this plant to flower. I read in various places that it won't flower until maturity and that potting the plant may affect flowering too. Definitely get this plant at any opportunity you have, it will provide much enjoyment to any indoor setting.

Negative chokolatedove On Aug 22, 2008, chokolatedove from Compton, CA wrote:

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. But I have one that consistenly comes up with burned crispy edges. From my readings, it seems that it could be chemicals in the water. I am not sure what to do about this. It is indoors...and I haven't had any other problems other than this. I don't know what else to do. What else should I do? I'm not sure what zone I live in...But i have zillions of plants in my apartment and balcony. This is the only one that seems to have issues! And they all use the same water so what gives?

Neutral palmbob On Jul 4, 2008, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I think this plant does better in zone 9b in Florida than in California since I live right on the edge of zones 9b and 10a California and this is a super marginal plant here... most cannot grow it well outdoors unless they live in a warm 10a or 10b. This plant hates long periods of cool that we get here in Winter.... also hates full, hot, dry sun. But makes a decent indoor plant.

Pleasant Hill, California