PlantFiles: Himalayan Gloxinia
Incarvillea arguta

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Incarvillea (in-kar-VIL-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: arguta (ar-GOO-tuh) (Info)

By ecrane3

Thumbnail #6 of Incarvillea arguta by AnniesAnnuals

Thumbnail #7 of Incarvillea arguta by growin

Positive SunWukong On Aug 29, 2014, SunWukong from Mora d'Ebre
Spain wrote:

The seeds are small and hairy - not very like those of Incarvillea delavayi. For me, they germinated like mustard and cress. This plant likes lots of sun, but tolerates at least some shade. In the wild, it often grows on steep banks and cliffs, so good drainage is essential. It should be drought-tolerant. It certainly is here in my garden in Spain. It tends to be untidy and straggly - some support helps. It can be cut hard back, more or less to the ground, and will grow again from the roots. One of my favourite herbaceous plants.

Positive FlowerGem1 On May 27, 2014, FlowerGem1 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I bought and planted a 4" size plant in part-shade last spring. It gave me beautiful flowers from late spring through fall. It's a lovely plant- I really like the shape and structure of the leaves and the branches, as well as the pretty flowers. I supported this plant on a post, and this year the bush is fuller, taller (over 4') and I have more flowers. It seems really easy to grow in San Francisco. I really love this plant and its beautiful flowers! I got a lot of seeds last year; this year I think I will try starting new plants from seeds.

Positive skootsi On Oct 11, 2012, skootsi from San Jacinto, CA wrote:

I purchased two of these a couple of years ago from Annie's annuals and, living in inland Southern California as I do, gave them five hours of morning sun.

Annie's says they have a 3'X3' form. Only if you let them flop over. Mine are well over five feet tall, on a trellis, which is really the only way to grow them.

I don't think I've ever seen the plants without at least one bloom. Seldom loaded, but never without. No pests or diseases so far, no struggling in 100 degree heat. Pretty much bullet proof.

I'm not sure if I'll cut them back as suggested; all the stems are still green.

Positive cecilies On Aug 30, 2009, cecilies from San Jose, CA wrote:

I love this plant. I originally planted it in partial shade and babied it and it did nothing. I decided it was do or die and moved it to the sun side of the yard. It grows larger every year in clay soil that gets watered about once a month. It has pale pink flowers which the hummingbirds love and the foliage stays green year round. My only maintenance is to cut back the branches that grow over the sidewalk.

Positive PudgyMudpies On Jul 21, 2008, PudgyMudpies from (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a lovely sprawling shrub, rather leggy and really needs some type of support to keep it from laying over its neighbors, but the flowers are darling, the hummingbirds love them and it produces many, many seedpods. Never tried growing it from seed so no clue on how easy or hard they are. It is not evergreen for me but quickly shows itself in the spring and responds well to pruning. Mine is growing in full shade.
I got this plant in 2005 and it just gets bigger and better every year.

Neutral PurplePansies On Jun 10, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Very easy from seed. Takes slightly longer than incarvillea delayvi. Smaller seed than incarvillea delayvi.

Aptos, California