Golden Rain Tree, Golden Raintree, Panicled Goldenraintree 'Rose Lantern'

Koelreuteria paniculata

Family: Sapindaceae (sap-in-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Koelreuteria (keel-roo-TER-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: paniculata (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rose Lantern

over 40 ft. (12 m)

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

San Jacinto, California

Trenton, Texas

Arlington, Virginia

Langley, Washington

On Feb 25, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Unlike the species, which blooms in July here in Boston Z6a, this cultivar blooms in late August and September. It was selected and named by the Arnold Arboretum for the pink color of its (ornamental) immature seed capsules, which form in October and November. This is an aggressive self-sower, and it's a high-maintenance tree if you take into account the time required to remove unwanted seedlings.

And I wonder if this isn't in the next generation of plants we find out is invasive of natural habitat.

Of all the trees with what I'd consider a showy flower display, this is the latest to bloom.

On Aug 18, 2013, GABC from Fairport, NY wrote:

I've had this tree for about 10 years, it's lovely. My issue, 100's of seed pods creating small trees everywhere in the lawn! Wish I never planted it! Fast germination.

On Nov 29, 2011, barnybowles from Charlotte, NC wrote:

I have one of these trees in my back yard. It gets about 6 hours of afternoon sun per day and is about 15 feet tall. My problem is it has never had one bloom or seed pod on it ever. It is a very healthy vigorous tree but I really would like it to bloom. Any suggestions ???

On Oct 12, 2010, rkwright85 from Horton, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Blooms 2 months later than Golden Raintree and has pink-red seedpods instead of brown. It has kind of a goofy shape when it's young but develops a lot of character as it ages. Low maintenance, drought tolerant, large flowers in August/September and both of mine have always had bright gold foliage in fall.
After 7 years of growing, all three of my raintrees died to the ground. This winter didn't seem any worse or as bad as the winter of '13-'14 but freeze came early in the fall. Two that died were rose lantern and one was species. All three were mature and healthy. Not for certain what killed them but three dead trees have convinced me to avoid these in the future.