Waterer Laburnum, Goldenchain Tree
Laburnum x watereri 'Vossii'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Laburnum (la-BURN-um) (Info)
Species: x watereri
Cultivar: Vossii

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Scarify seed before sowing

Selden, New York

Mansfield, Ohio

Shoreline, Washington

On May 14, 2012, fullofire29 from Shoreline, WA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have a goldenchain tree that has volunteered itself in the top of a rock retaining wall on the side of my property. It grows right out of the rocks with very little soil. It is a hardy little tree with pretty yellow flowers faithfully every spring. Only drawback is all the pea pod seeds everywhere that fall off over the winter.

On Apr 25, 2010, Fiddlestix from Springfield, VA wrote:

I found this tree to be extremely slow growing and finally figured out, that
although it says it is deer tolerant, the deer were eating it. I finally moved it last summer to a tub which is mostly in shade and protected by a cage and it has done really well and grown. It seems very happy in that mostly shaded area and although it has not flowered it, it is finally growing. I may leave it there one more summer since it seems very content and then move it next year. It's now
about three feet tall and has never bloomed but it's had a hard life of
losing all of it's foliage yearly to deer. I keep hoping to eventually get some blooms from it. I saw a large one of these blooming years ago and thought it was one of most beautiful trees I had ever seen, so I'll keep trying.

On Oct 11, 2007, WaterCan2 from Eastern Long Island, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

A stunning performer when in May bloom, it seems to hate the summer heat and looks like a tree from "Transylvania" for the rest of the year. I have gotten the seeds to germinate and am looking forward to adding another to my garden soon. Sometimes takes a year off to "recharge" but the next year comes back with overwhelming blooms. I feed it 'Fruit and Deciduous Tree' spikes 2x a year and it does'nt seem to mind.

On Jan 20, 2007, TuxedoWarwick from Greenwood Lake, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Absolutely gorgeous when in full bloom, especially the 'Vossii' cultivar, which has longer, more abundant chains of flowers. My local nurseryman advised me that this tree dislikes fertilizer and nutrient-rich soil, and that it will do fine in relatively poor, dry soil with its deep, clover-like taproot. The tree is related to clover, and can generate its own nitrogen. Do not plant where young children can eat the poisonous seeds. I've returned to my nursery about six times to purchase this tree, and always hold off at the last minute, because the tree's structure is not nearly as beautiful as its flowers. After the flowers fade and drop, the tree looks "weedy" - this is esp. true if the local nursery tries to prune the tree into more desirable shapes, because the tree rebels and often... read more