PlantFiles: Lavender
Lavandula 'Goodwin Creek Grey'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lavandula (lav-AN-dew-lah) (Info)
Cultivar: Goodwin Creek Grey

Synonym:Lavandula x ginginsii
Synonym:Lavandula lanata x dentata

Herbs

Violet/Lavender

Silver/Gray
Aromatic

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting
By stooling or mound layering

By drdon

By Xenomorf
Thumbnail #4 of Lavandula  by Xenomorf

By Xenomorf
Thumbnail #5 of Lavandula  by Xenomorf

Neutral Fires_in_motion On Sep 18, 2014, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've been touting this as the best lavender to keep here in the rainy, hot, humid Southeast. But after a long period of great growth and seemingly bulletproof performance, mine recently experienced sudden death, so I'm not sure anymore. I'd recommend putting it under a porch in summer so it doesn't get too much rain. I'd give it an unabashed positive rating for parts of the country (e.g. California) with fewer extremes in weather than here in Louisiana.

Positive Roycolli On Apr 23, 2013, Roycolli from Lexington, VA wrote:

This was one among many plants I ordered from Goodwin Creek Gardens. Since my area gets a freeze I have it in a container and it's doing great. I bring it indoors during the winter. Plant arrived beautifully from GCG and is growing nicely. Planning to order 4 more; 1 more for me and 3 as gifts. Love the scent, texture and fullness of the plant.

Positive garrlau On Apr 13, 2013, garrlau from Indian Springs, NV wrote:

Lovely gray with deep purple flowers. I have 2 plants. One among rocks on the south side of the house. Does well through the hot, dry southwest desert summers. Seems to have at least a few flowers blooming all year. I've seem hummingbirds visit it on occasion. The second plant was damaged by a heavy freeze (25 degrees) last winter. But I was able to trim back the damaged portions and it is coming back beautifully.

Positive Sandwichkatexan On Apr 1, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

This is one of the few lavenders that comes back every year in Central Texas . It does not mind our awful humidity and oppressive heat . Most of the other lavenders I have tried suffer and look sad in our area . Also its silver foliage provides great contrast in a garden against green foliage . If you live in Central Texas or any area with the same climate this lavender is choice ! The only other lavender variety that comes close to this in our area is stoechas .

Positive pasogardener On Mar 19, 2011, pasogardener from Paso Robles, CA wrote:

I love this lavender! Have grown others with some success, but this one has looked wonderful from the day it was planted. Dense growing pattern keeps it neat looking. It has bloomed continually, except for a brief period during our coldest weather. Tolerates our frequent frost without missing a beat, as well as our hot Paso Robles summers.

Positive Marilynbeth On Jan 26, 2009, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Grew it for one Summer until the frost killed it.

Positive ladyannne On Jul 31, 2006, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is an easy to grow variety that withstands heat well. The seeds are very easy to sprout. Supposedly a cross between L lanata and L denata. Will bloom all year around in mild climates.

Positive saya On Jul 15, 2006, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Introduction in 1999 by Jim en Dotti Becker from the nursery Goodwin Creek Gardens in Oregon. Good scented. Looks like L. x allardii ..but much shorter, more grey and more easy to flower.

Positive maggiemoo On Jan 14, 2006, maggiemoo from Conroe, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Goodwin Creek is a recommended lavender for the humid Gulf Coast area. I planted mine from 4" seedlings almost a year ago, and it has done very well. I didn't have many flowers last year, but it was also just getting established. It already has many buds on it now, so I expect a much better show this year. Even without flowering, the foliage is so pretty, and it seems to keep a nice, dense shape.

Cerritos, California