PlantFiles: Japanese Privet, Waxleaf Privet
Ligustrum japonicum 'Variegatum'

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ligustrum (lig-GUS-trum) (Info)
Species: japonicum (juh-PON-ih-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegatum

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Variegated

4.5 or below (very acidic)
4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)
5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)
7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)
8.6 to 9.0 (strongly alkaline)
over 9.1 (very alkaline)

Thumbnail #1 of Ligustrum japonicum by hgurule

Thumbnail #2 of Ligustrum japonicum by hgurule

Thumbnail #3 of Ligustrum japonicum by hgurule

By vossner
Thumbnail #4 of Ligustrum japonicum by vossner

Positive JohnTS71 On Apr 30, 2010, JohnTS71 from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

My plants came with my new house. Now 3 years, they went out of control blooming! it literally looked like snow on top of the bushes when all the flowers came out. The scent was like a perfume. Flowers do attract bees! so be careful. I got 5 of them and with an electric trimmer, they have formed a nice hedge.

Positive Ms_Carolina On Jul 8, 2006, Ms_Carolina from Lexington, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

We had at least six of these planted in our yard when we purchased our home nearly two years ago. We both love this privet as it looks light and airy during our hot summer months. The fragrance of the tiny flowers is actually soft and slightly sweet, which we like. We plan to add more of these in the back of our pond and gardens. Our experience has been that if you trim it back a bit, it will fill out quite nicely.

Positive Bo_C_Fish On Jun 9, 2006, Bo_C_Fish from Webster, FL wrote:

I've seen this plant grown as a hedge, being careful to trim wider at the bottom to allow sun for bottom branches. It is denser with more light. There were three on my property when I moved in. Two died, I'm not sure why. The remaining one is beautiful. I have stopped trimming and allowed it to be a small tree (8'). Blooms when not trimmed. Blooms smell funny. My remaining plant is 10 years old. It is growing in full shade.

Neutral vossner On Apr 23, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted this several years ago to hide an A/C. It has become leggy and of course, you can see the A/C. I have underplanted azaleas in an effort to fill in the gaps. I had never seen a bloom on this shurb until today, barely noticeable in the middle of pic posted above.

Irvine, California