Ananas comosus

Family: Bromeliaceae (bro-mee-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ananas (A-nan-as) (Info)
Species: comosus (kom-OH-sus) (Info)

Edible Fruits and Nuts

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Medium Blue

4.5 or below (very acidic)

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Jones, Alabama

Queen Creek, Arizona

Chowchilla, California

Big Pine Key, Florida

Bradley, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Fort Myers, Florida

Inverness, Florida

Kissimmee, Florida

Merritt Island, Florida

Morriston, Florida

Naples, Florida

New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Orlando, Florida

Port Saint Lucie, Florida (2 reports)

Rockledge, Florida

Saint Augustine, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

Sebring, Florida

Tampa, Florida (2 reports)

Venice, Florida

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina

Arlington, Texas

Norfolk, Virginia

On Sep 29, 2011, thinkinonit from Norfolk, VA wrote:

I tried a few times growing with no luck, in water, cutting the top of the pineapple off. The last time I tried, I did a very simple technique I found on the internet. hold pineapple firmly in your off hand and twist top of pineapple crown off with your main hand. Then start tearing off the lower leaves around the base. You will see very small light brown roots or root buds. peel a few more layers off to expose all root buds and plant in well drained potting soil in a pot not excessively large. My little plant is now growing into a monster very rapidly. I got rain almost daily in Norfolk VA with 70% plus humidity.

On Sep 16, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Growing this for the first time as an experiment and a possible State Fair entry if all goes well. We planted about 2 weeks ago and already have roots and new growth...It will look great as soon as it fills out a little on our front table as a welcome for all our company. I think with a bright bow it will make an unusual Christmas centerpiece for our mantle

On Sep 30, 2009, AZJeff from Sahuarita, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

Pinapples make great house plants. I tried different times to grow the tops of pineapples and they can take root once the you cut all the fruit off around the core,and cut off those leaf parts on the bottom. Dry the core but not very long,then plant in sandy soil. I tried one year to grow one in a large pot,and not only did it root,but flowered and got this real miniture pineapple on it. It was like,bite-sized. I had my pot outdoors in shade til it got a lot cooler outside then, I moved the pot to more sun. As the weather got colder,especially at night,I moved it indoors. I tried to plant pineapple tops outside,and had no luck. It's either the extreme hot sun or too cold of nights in winter here. Also, I was surprised to find seeds in my pineapple pieces that I cut from fruit today. I ne... read more

On Jun 18, 2009, puremagick from Brisbane
Australia wrote:

They do extremely well in Brisbane, we have fields of them everywhere. I have 3 plants in my garden that are doing well. And the Zone guide is Wrong When i lived in sydney my pineapple down there lived thro -2C and covered in Frost. Went on to have a pineapple that summer.

On Mar 15, 2009, Dorkasaurus from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

From a distance it might as well have been a Yucca (native and common here) but I had just been reading a blog about someones pineapple growing experience so I decided to inquire about it. (It was growing in a planter on a porch) It was indeed a pineapple plant and had produced a small fruit. I was somewhat surprised as I figured they were a tropical plant.

I don't know how the plant was handled in the winter but I can say pineapple will grow in high desert. (5000+ ft elevation, temps ranging from 10f to 100f)

On Mar 8, 2008, tropicsofohio from Hilliard, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

i love pineapple soo much, as a house plant, and as a food. but it is neutral because when i eat fresh pineapple (canned pineapple is just no good) i get addicted to it and eat the whole thing!! and because it is soooooo acidic, my lips bleed! thankfuly its not much, but just enough for my friends and fam. to ask if i got punched in the face (LOL) oh well, its worth bleeding for.lol

On Mar 7, 2008, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not grown this plant. After being introduced in Florida and Puerto Rico, Pineapple (Ananas comosus) has become naturalized.

On Feb 9, 2008, TropiTiki from Murrells Inlet, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought a pineapple plant from Home Depot last spring that already had a fruit growing. It never got very big, and I ended up sticking the plant in the dirt after eating the fruit. I ended up with the original plant plus two suckers that caught up to their mama by the time I potted them up around Thanksgiving. They've all been quite happy in one large pot overwintering in my plastic-covered screened porch. Here's the cool thing, though. In July I threw a store-bought pineapple's top into the woods by my deck to dry out. I forgot about it for a few months and then noticed that it had rooted in the ground. I again forgot about it until a couple of weeks ago (end of January) and it was still living. I didn't notice what it was at first when I was picking up dead stuff back there and picked t... read more

On Aug 19, 2007, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Growing a pineapple from what would otherwise be a discarded top is a fun and easy project. It requires a bit of patience, however, since it will probably be 2 - 3 years before you see a fruit forming. It is exciting, though, when the sudden blush of red occurs in the topmost leaves of the pineapple plant -- a sure sign that the flowers and fruit will follow.

The methods described above are probably the best way to ensure success, but I must admit to growing pineapples by just sticking the cut off top with some fruit flesh remaining into potting soil and let nature run its course. A few years ago, a Puerto Rican friend showed me the correct method of peeling off the bottom leaves to expose the small rhizomes (as described above) and that trick does seem to produce faster ... read more

On Sep 10, 2006, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Of all the wonderful things one can grow from
leftovers of fruits and vegetables, pineapples
are one of my favorites!

So easy to grow!

The first lesson I learned was not to try rescuing
a half dead pineapple. It is best to begin with a pineapple
that has both healthy foliage and good fruit. Once you
have the method of choosing a pineapple down, the
rest is simply a procedure.

Simply grab the foliage in one hand while holding the
fruit in your other hand, holding the foliage close to
the fruit. Twist and presto, it comes off. Now just slice
the fruity pointed end off the end of the section with the
foliage. Not too much, but enough so that you have
removed all the flesh... read more

On Jan 25, 2006, wtliftr from Wilson's Mills, NC wrote:

Crowns are VERY easy to grow... rooted one 2 years ago, forced it to produce a fruit back in June- just picked the ripe fruit last week- it was delicious! Am now rooting the crown off of the fruit that was produced. I'm a teacher; my students thought it was to see the pineapple!

On May 16, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

This is my 3rd generation "Dole" golden pineapple. A great example of garbage gardening. I will get three to four suckers and one top from this pineapple to use to make more of them. A very sweet tasting hybred pineapple. They like plenty of sun and they require minimal care. To make one, buy a pineapple and save the cut off top. Let the cut section dry out and become callous. It should be ready in about a week or so. Place it on decent dirt in a container and push it slightly into the dirt. Water moderately. In a month or so you should notice new growth. Find a nice sunny spot and let it go. The first year it will grow into a nice looking bromilead. The second year in the spring a new smaller more colorful top emerges from the center then shortly thereafter you begin to see ... read more

On Apr 10, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is one of the easiest fruit producing plants to grow. The method I use is cutting off the crown with 1 inch of the top of the fruit. Pull away the fruit leaving the central core at the base of the crown. I usually put this upside down in a dry place and leave it there for a day. The next day I pull off all bit 5 leaves and put it into a pot to root. Within a week it should begin rooting.

In the past almost every settler between New Smyrna and Jupiter, Fl had a pineapple patch in their yard and Florida produced tons of pineapples. Unfortunately droughts and pests reduced the crops and cheaper Cuban pineapples led to the demise of Florida's commercial pineapple industries. Still there are lots of people growing pineapples in Central and Southern Florida nowadays... read more

On Oct 17, 2004, KonaMan from Holualoa, HI wrote:

We are on the Big Island of Hawaii, Kona coffee country.
We also are growing yellow and white pineapple.
Last year I compared a very sweet yellow pineapple against a white pineapple. I ate a bite of the yellow first, and it was sweet! Then I ate a bite of the white pineapple and it was sweeter than the yellow. So if you can get them, by far the white pineapples are better. We harvested over 40 white pineapples this year.
Tonight my Mom cut open a store bought yellow pineapple and found seeds in it. This is the first pineapple that we have found seeds in. So this was the reason I got on the internet, to see if anyone had found seeds. We always plant the crown off of the pineapple and it grows. Since the soil here in Hawaii is perfect for growing, pin... read more

On Aug 7, 2004, Trish06 from Port Saint Lucie, FL wrote:

We have 2 plants in the sandy ground now,with one in a pot and a new fruit that I just harvested. I usually just lop off the top(greenery) and plant. They seem to grow just fine that way. Everyone tells me that the plants should be a lot bigger. We live in an area that was originally pineapple plantations.

On Jul 15, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

when my son was in early grade school we planted a couple of crowns in pots. They did surprisingly well and one grew a miniature pineapple. very cute. unfortunaterly the plant died immediately thereafter. have recently put a couple of crowns in ground and will see how they do.

On Apr 7, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

A pineapple seed is one of the rarest things in this world. This is because pineapples have been cultivated by native americans since several centuries before the europeans arived, and they selected the seedless plants, becuase it was probably easier to eat. The natives did, in their own way, a great job of genetic improvement of this species.

On Apr 7, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I'm not sure of the proper names, but we grow two types of pineapples in our yard. One looks like the regular, pineapple found in most markets, with yellow and sligthly acidic pulp and what we call Hawaiian white pineapple, which, as the name implies is almost white flesh and very sweet and juicy. Our pineapples get to be quite large. On taking some to my sister living in the mainland, she planted the tops in pots and has been able to grow the Hawaiian white and produce fruit in Miami.
We let the plants stay in the ground after producing, at least one more year and some of them will have a second harvest, with the pineapple itself being a bit smaller than the first harvest, but much sweeter and juicier.

On Apr 6, 2004, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Pineapples can be divided into the following two (2) groups of cultivars:

Most of the varieties of Pineapple sold in the international market belong to this group.

Distinguished by their yellow-orange coloration, these exports from the Central and West Africa are sold all over the world.

A derivative of the Smooth Cayenne and distinguished by their dark green external coloration when ripe, these are grown mainly in Central America and are sold in the northern markets of the European Union.

A3: MD2
Known also as the Extra Sweet and grown in Central America, they are distinguished by low acidity, a deep orange external coloration and yellow flesh.

... read more

On Aug 24, 2003, btrfli from Port Charlotte, FL wrote:

I removed the top from a "gold" pineapple (the sweetest pineapple available at the market)and planted it as described in your other reports.

I live in Zone 9 Florida. We just enjoyed our pineapple this AM....delicious, far more delicious than the mother pineapple!!

It took 2 years for bloom. It grew in a clay pot with good drainage, at poolside in our lanai!

We have decided it is well worth the effort and plan on many more.

On Jul 28, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I saw some pineapples growing in large pots yesterday in the yard of some friends in a fairly sunny spot. They said pineapples overwinter nicely in a cool greenhouse here in Northcentral Florida, zone 8b, and the that flavor of a fully ripened pineapple is much better than any fruit bought in a store. So now I'm on the lookout for some good pineapples to start in big pots for myself.

On Jun 13, 2003, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Very easy to grow from a top, and that way, they come true to variety. The top will have a stub of the core in the center of it. Allow the flesh and skin around this stub of the core to soften, then remove it. Plant the core up to the bottom leaves on the top in a well-drained medium. I grow mine in 30-gallon nursery pots, one plant per pot.

There are two things pineapples like--one is moisture, so don't let it dry out [but make sure it's well drained], and two, fertilizer, so feed it heavily. I plant mine [I currently have 10 that are fruiting] in sandy loam into which I have mixed liberal amounts of blood, bone, and cottonseed meal. Every now and them, I give each of them a handful of ozmocote. They take about 18 months from planting the top to producing a fruit.
<... read more

On Mar 3, 2003, lifesavers2001 wrote:

When unripe, the pineapple is not only inedible but poisonous, irritating the throat and acting as a drastic purgative.

Excessive consumption of pineapple cores has caused the formation of fiber balls (bezoars) in the digestive tract

This comes from the http://www.hort.purdue.edu wedsite.

On Feb 3, 2003, vroomp from Marietta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Easy to grow from the top of a fruit. Allow to dry 1-2 weeks after cutting top. Root in moist medium (your choice) that drains well. Water once a week.

To get blooms on plants over 1 year old use apple slices around ground and in the leaves for three days, then remove slices. (some even place a large bag over the plant to trap the gases overnight) The apples put off a gas that makes the pineapple bloom. Allow fruit to turn yellow/gold halfway up before picking. Pineapples will not ripen further when removed from plant.