PlantFiles: Hot Pepper
Capsicum frutescens 'Peruvian Purple'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: frutescens (froo-TESS-enz) (Info)
Cultivar: Peruvian Purple

» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):
Mild (1 to 1,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:
Tapered

Fruit Size:
Small (under 2" in length)

Fruit Color:

By DanCarmona
Thumbnail #5 of Capsicum frutescens by DanCarmona

Positive hardteube On Mar 27, 2010, hardteube from Malmö
Sweden wrote:

A wonderful plant that grows fast and gets loads of blue/purple flowers during the early summer. The peppers are quite small but strong, they are perfect when doing a tomato sauce. I usually keep the plant two to three years, but it is only during the first year that the plant is beautiful. To get fruits when having the plant indoor, you need to pollenize it using a pollinator such as a Q-tip for instance, otherwise no fruits will grow. Also, to get the purple color for the leaves, just put the plant under direct sun, otherwise the leaves will stay green. Pick up the fruits when they are red and let them dry before using them.

Positive otter47 On Mar 27, 2010, otter47 from Livermore, CA wrote:

I first saw this variety grown on a glassed-in balcony of a friend in Malmö, Sweden, where it was a most striking ornamental pepper. I obtained some seeds and grew it in my garden in 1 and 2-gallon containers. I even carried some of the plants over the winter under shelter, knowing that it could take no frost. Then, I was able to keep several generations of Peruvian Purples going from season to season by harvesting and planting the seed. Individual plants lasted 2-3 years. The plants grow about 2 feet tall. I've not used the peppers for cooking, but I hear that they are quite "hot".

Positive DrDoolotz On Aug 8, 2006, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is a bushy and vigorous pepper for me. I like the plant but it was not as purple as I had expected from the catalogue description. The leaves have purple tints, and were more purple in the seedling stage, but are mostly green for me. My plants are in full sun most of the day. The peppers were slow to form but are now coming along well in August, zone 5a. I haven't eaten one yet. They are a deep but vivid purple. The flowers are also a very pretty purple. Lots of peppers forming.

Neutral Farmerdill On Oct 14, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This chile is so striking it is often grown indoors as an ornamental. Plant is completely purple, foliage and all. Produces 1 inch upright fruits that are mildly hot and turn red when mature. (90 day)

Urbandale, Iowa