Hot Pepper
Capsicum frutescens 'Purira'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: frutescens (froo-TESS-enz) (Info)
Cultivar: Purira
» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):

Extremely Hot (above 30,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:

Tapered

Fruit Size:

Small (under 2" in length)

Fruit Color:

Orem, Utah

Charlottesville, Virginia

Spokane, Washington

On Dec 3, 2014, cactusman8 from San Marcos, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I can't positively say for sure that this is the same plant that volunteered every year in my grandmother's flower bed in Burleson, TX but it is close enough for me. Even if it didn't have all of the positive attributes of abundant heat, flavor, beauty, and yield, I would grow it for purely sentimental reasons . This is the pepper responsible for my lifelong addiction to REALLY HOT peppers. Thanks, High Mowing for making this great pepper available to those who can appreciate it.

On Sep 13, 2008, Moof from Berwick, ME wrote:

We've planted these for a number of years, and have found them to be attractive, tasty ... and EXTEMELY hot. My chef son claims that if you squeeze one of the peppers for a few minutes, your hands tingle.

If Habaneros are not hot enough for you - try these! They produce a large number of 2" (approx) peppers which are yellow, with purple shading as they mature. They are shaped a bit like a Serrano.

Excellent flavor if you can get your mouth accustomed to the heat.

We've grown them quite successfully in zone 5, starting them in peat pots as early as late February, and as late as April.

We consider these a "must have" when we're able to get our hands on the seeds.

On Sep 12, 2008, RBCano from Orem, UT wrote:

I have been growing this pepper for years now. It is a good heavy producer - with very hot, very good tasting peppers. It is my main pepper I grow every year - for it's flavor (and heat). It also dries easily and is great crushed up for the long winters here in Utah. Also, it is a good producer indoors and is a good self-pollinator - so it makes a good container plant if you don't have a garden - but have a window and some sunlight. I love this pepper.

On Sep 14, 2006, Agrinerd from Franklin, NC (Zone 6b) wrote:

I've grown this one from seeds saved from when Seeds of Change first introduced it in the early 1990s and I've never been dissapointed. The claim that it couldn't be measured on the Scoville is improbable, but they're blazing HOT and have a wonderful, rich chile flavor. Healthy, small-leaved, 2 1/2 foot bushes bear blemish-free, lipstick red peppers ripening from yellow to orange to red. Everyone who tries them remark on their appearance and (if they're chile heads) the flavor. Makes a great pepper vinegar.

On Oct 14, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Caution-Extreme Heat! Bushy plants bear a profusion of unbelievably hot yellow fruit with purple blotches that grow upright and pointed. They turn a glowing orange/red color when ripe and become so intensely hot that they couldn't be measured on the Scoville scale that measures a chile's heat. (72 day)