Leontopodium alpinum

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Leontopodium (lee-on-toh-PO-dee-um) (Info)
Species: alpinum (AL-pin-um) (Info)

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Richmond, Virginia

Highland, Washington

Appleton, Wisconsin

On May 26, 2013, CarolynWidhalm from Spokane, WA wrote:

I have had this plant in my garden for many years in Spokane, WA. All four plants that I transplanted from one house to another survived. They are not in full sun now, but get partial sunlight. They are easy to dry in silica and are durable after dried, and this spring, for the first time, I'm finding tiny new plants around the mothers.
Also, although I have read somewhere that there is only one species, I have two distinctly different plants. On one kind the flowers are more slender and and the outside bracts somewhat more curved than the other.

On Mar 8, 2011, humidcontntl from Saint Paul, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

This plant was able to survive a Zone 4 winter in a pot one year, and I will see if it will survive another one in its precarious position. I wouldn't be surprised if it could survive a Zone 2 winter (a plant left outside in a pot in winter will endure temperatures equivalent to 2 zones colder than if it were to be planted in the ground).

On May 26, 2009, carpathiangirl from Akron, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very exited about being able to grow this famous plant myself. I started it last year from seed quite easy and now it getting ready to bloom. Local quys (rabbits) didn't notice it yet so hopefully I'll enjoy the first edelweiss flowers in my life.

On Aug 17, 2005, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Edelweiss has proved to be a hardy perennial here in Seward, Alaska. The silver green foliage and interesting white blooms make it an welcome addition in my rock garden.

On Jun 8, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This beautiful plant can actually grow from 4"-10", and grows well in zones 4-9, Sunset zones 1-9, 14-24. Starfish-like white wooly blooms. Often treated as biennal. enjoys moist soil but not soggy.
Originally from the Swiss Alps, it is the Swiss national flower.
Very cold hardy. Top of plant will die in the winter, the crown below the soil will stay alive. New growth from sprouts following Spring.
Do not cut the green o dead foliage or the spent flower stalks. It is needed to keep for cover of the living portion. To collect seeds, nip off the ripe seedheads, but leave stalks in place. You may snip old foliage when new growth appears in the Spring. Store seeds in an envelope in a cool, dark place. Sow directly in your garden or in little pots. Germinates easily.

On Jul 18, 2003, lmsmith4 from Niles, MI wrote:

Zone 5- This plant has been in my garden for three years- it is demonstrating very slow growth, however continues to bloom annually. Because it is ornamental- very different than the traditional perennials,it remains. It is on the South border of my cottage garden (sheltered by the house on North and East sides), and does not get the protection from cold/snow as the rest of the garden. Other than the occasional Miracle Grow topical, it gets little care.

On Apr 14, 2002, Evert from Helsinki
Finland (Zone 4b) wrote:

Can be grown in USDA zones 3-4 maybe even 2 if covered well on winter.