PlantFiles: Coral Honeysuckle, Trumpet Honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens 'John Clayton'

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lonicera (luh-NIS-er-a) (Info)
Species: sempervirens (sem-per-VY-renz) (Info)
Cultivar: John Clayton

Thumbnail #6 of Lonicera sempervirens by GreeneLady

By SusanLouise
Thumbnail #7 of Lonicera sempervirens by SusanLouise

Neutral Lovehum On May 23, 2014, Lovehum from (Zone 7b) wrote:

My rating is neutral because I received a small, weak specimen of John Clayton via mail order. It's yellowed and the recent rains haven't done anything to help that fact. The regular coral honeysuckle I got from Ebay is amazing though. It has blooms and the blooms turn a dark red as they age.

Positive Sandwichkatexan On May 9, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

First year growing this , Major Wheeler , Magnifica , and Dropmore Scarlet . I know they take a few years to their full glory like clematis so hopefully they thrive and bring lots off hummingbirds my way ! Looking forward to this little guy adding its own flair to my garden! I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is disease resistant here in the south . Native honeysuckles are so much more beautiful to me than their Asian cousins I just wish they were fragrant .

Positive GreeneLady On Apr 19, 2009, GreeneLady from Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted this as a teeny tiny rooted cutting I took off a plant I found growing at the beach rental we were staying 3 years ago. As you can see from my pictures, it is doing wonderfully! It is nearly 5 feet tall as of early spring this year and has dozens and dozens of new shoots coming in. I'm hoping it will cover our shed in a few years. Stays full green and lush all year round, blooms profusely into spring and early summer, then will have a few blossoms on it all year round. My hummingbirds LOVE this plant. I'm now looking for the red variety to add to my honeysuckle collection.

This honeysuckle gets full sun and we have naturally sandy soil as we live on the banks of the Savannah River, which it really seems to appreciate. I've grown other varieties of honeysuckle which have been prone to powdery mildew, but this honeysuckle has never succombed.

Neutral DeenDixie On May 27, 2008, DeenDixie from Fayetteville, AR wrote:

In Oct 07 I planted this honeysuckle in my Arkansas mountain garden, on a fence facing due west. The plantlet rose above the soil only 10 inches or so. I watered it through the winter, and it almost completely defoliated. In late March 08 I started giving it diluted splashes of 12-12-12 every 3 weeks. Now, it is at the top of the 5 foot fence and looks as though it will thrive. Yesterday (21May 08) a tiny cluster of blooms opened for the first time. Hummmm...the color is a buff-cream rather than a true yellow; as I love true yellow I am hoping that the color will firm-up as the plant matures. Foliage is a nice deep green with a touch of blue.

Positive JodyC On Nov 14, 2006, JodyC from Palmyra, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've had mine for about 3 years now..blooms from spring to late fall/early winter..it's loosing it's leaves nowand still has flowers on it..highly recommended..:-) it's about 4' high and wide..

Positive wooffi On Jul 13, 2005, wooffi from Arlington, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Still my favorite color. Fragrant Pale Yellow flowers.
Lovely with a blue clematis.

'John Clayton' is compact and repeat blooms.
June thru November! Hmmm. I hope so!!!!
Ht. 3-6'. Sun to part shade.

Oh yes! and of course, the hummingbirds like them all.
Semi evergreen.