Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Variegated Yellow Loosestrife, Circle Flower 'Golden Alexander'

Lysimachia punctata

Family: Primulaceae
Genus: Lysimachia (ly-si-MAK-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: punctata (punk-TAH-tah) (Info)
Cultivar: Golden Alexander
Additional cultivar information:(PP13547; aka Walgoldalex)
Hybridized by Tristam

Fargo, North Dakota

Lexington, Virginia

Bellevue, Washington

On Apr 10, 2016, Edl2c from Edwardsville, IL wrote:

This is one of my favorite plants in the garden. It is hardy, spreads slowly, has an excellent globular shape in clumps, gives variety and color for months through its pretty textures and variation, and is absolutely gorgeous when it flowers. Two clumps of this plant were in one of the gardens when we bought our house, and it took a long time to identify it. I've now planted it in other beds as well.

Descriptions of this plant say it has no insect problems. Last year our plants were absolutely decimated by Japanese beetles -- nothing left but skeletal "lace" despite efforts by hand removal and insecticide to control the infestation. The plants are coming up undeterred this year, but I'm concerned about a repeat decimation.

Has anyone had similar experie... read more

On May 6, 2013, in2art from Bellevue, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have had this plant for over 5 years. I love the pink-tinged new spring growth. Over time, the pink fades to just variegation. The yellow flowers are nice, but I grow it for the foliage. Mine spreads, but not aggressively (NOTHING like the gooseneck loosestrife...it spreads like you would want a perennial to. I can share some from time to time. be sure to pull out any all-green shoots to prevent it from losing it's variegation.

On Jul 20, 2009, TammyOntario from (Zone 5b) wrote:

I added this plant to a shady spot in my backyard, where it's hard to add something with colour. It looks fantastic! I just went a bought a couple more today to plant around a tree. I'm so pleased with it!

On Sep 21, 2005, nelledoor from Lavina, MT (Zone 4a) wrote:

Plant performed well with little attention in Zone 4. Very attractive foliage stayed bright all season - yellow flowers come and go - I have not had a problem with invasiveness. Nice contrasting plant in mixed and perennial beds.