PlantFiles: Magnolia
Magnolia 'Jane'

Family: Magnoliaceae
Genus: Magnolia (mag-NO-lee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Jane
Additional cultivar information: (Eight Little Girls hybrid)
Hybridized by deVos & Kosar

Thumbnail #6 of Magnolia  by barcocady

By growin
Thumbnail #7 of Magnolia  by growin

Positive heyitsme On Aug 3, 2013, heyitsme from Utica, MI wrote:

I purchased one of these about 4 or 5 years ago. It was about 3-4 feet tall. Planted it on the NW corner of my house. Got a handful of blooms the first year, then more and more every year. It now gets covered in beautiful blooms, except for the year of the late freeze!

It now reaches just over the gutters of my ranch style house, and has about outgrown it's spot. I would like to trim it to keep it in check, but am not sure how it will react. Will give it a try at the end of the season, wish me luck.

Neutral Gracye On Jun 23, 2012, Gracye from Warrenton, VA wrote:

Wanted true Southern Magnolias for my little front yard - too many complications.
So "settled" for 3 Jane Magnolias. Bought them from commercial division of local nursery - they planted the 6' shrubby, multi-stemmed Mags, two Springs ago. Came with about 4 blossoms on each. Held their own in the hot Virginia summer, and clay soil. I babied them, though.
This Spring, they bloomed about twice as much, and I found the occasional bloom way down, near the ground, throughout the season. Leafed out nicely, but not thickly. Now, in June, they seem quite happy.
Southern Magnolias and Jane Magnolias should not be compared. My Janes are reasonable for my space, and likable. I hope that next year, they will become thick.

Positive kareoke On Apr 15, 2010, kareoke from Greensburg, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted mine two years ago, it was a very small plant, now it is about 4ft high, and it has flowers on already, even befor the leaves showed up, I do nothing special for it but water when it has not rained for awhile.

Positive petuniapiggy On Feb 19, 2009, petuniapiggy from Brentwood, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I planted Jane almost twenty years ago. I pruned it as it grew so that it is a multistemmed tree rather than shrub and it is now over twenty feet tall. I absolutely adore it, the blooms are so beautiful it hurts, passerby's stop to admire it and other than a little pruning it has been carefree. It was in full sun, now some shade from new garage, always happy. Wonderful tree. However, a late freeze will ruin the blossoms but that's happened 2x in 20 yrs. As for reblooming, there are almost always some blossoms on the tree but they don't seem to open other than the initial spring blooming.

Positive wildcatgirl On Nov 16, 2008, wildcatgirl from Wichita, KS wrote:

Magnolia Jane was doing so well through spring & summer of 2008 after planting in fall of 2007. However, two days ago a deer chewed off all of the branches with leaves, reducing it from about 4 foot to 2 foot. I hope it will come back next spring.

Positive Jrallo On Sep 19, 2008, Jrallo from Bolingbrook, IL wrote:

I really love my 'Jane' Magnolia. this is my 2nd year with it. Ours was brought in by a landscaper.

Ours gets morning sun, until about noon, then it catches a bit of sun in late evening thru the summer.

First year we missed the bloom, because it was planted in late may. this year we did catch the spectacular blooms, and then a good rainy windy day blew them all away a couple days later.

The 'shrub' has grown very well, adding on about 2 feet since we got her, with nice light green leaves. I have not seen a subsequent bloom as the plant file states should happen. Wonder if it needs something I'm not giving it?

I do notice today however that it has a cluster of bright orange berries on it - just a single cluster of 3... is that a seed pod of sorts? I have no idea...

In spite of the failure to rebloom, I still love my Jane!

Positive gardengal66 On Sep 6, 2008, gardengal66 from Blytheville, AR wrote:

I bought two in March 2008, and they have both grown at least a foot. Both had blooms randomly through summer. They get morning sun, but are mostly shaded with dappled sun in afternoon. Wondering what kind of pruning is best for these?

Positive pajaritomt On Jul 1, 2008, pajaritomt from Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a) wrote:

Was thrilled to find a magnolia that would grow in the high desert where I live. I ordered it from Forest Farm in fall 2007 and received a nice tree about 3 ft. high. Didn't cost a whole lot either. I got distracted and didn't plant the tree until this spring and was amazed that it would go through the winter in a 1 gal. pot. It is now in the ground and had a little trouble at first when I forgot to water it for quite some time. Now I am watering it weekly and it is starting to grow nicely. This is a tough little tree that has withstood neglect by me. I am a real fan of Magnolia Jane.

Positive RachelMason On May 28, 2008, RachelMason from Bedford, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought Jane 2 years ago. The tree was maybe 1.5 ft. tall and now has almost reached the top of my 6 ft fence. I have the tree planted in an area that gets mostly morning sun and bits of dappled afternoon sun. That seems to be a good combo for this tree in order to survive the Texas summers. It did have a bought powdered mildew, I think, due to an exceptionally humid spring last year, but the tree is fine now and it hasn't had a problem since. Gorgeous flowers! They smell like Pez candies to me : )

Positive barcocady On Mar 9, 2008, barcocady from Hammond, LA wrote:

We move here (Hammond,La) in aug 2005. And there was this scrawny plant in our front yard. I feed it and cleared out around. The last 2 years i have had great blooms. Mine is paler then the pics that I have seen. The smell is soft and sweet. I just have to watch the water if it gets too much it is looks weepy. The tag is still on it.
I will post a pic.

Positive blueflower19 On Aug 12, 2007, blueflower19 from Lufkin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Planted this magnolia cultivar last February (07) and has done well. Read the feedback before I planted and put it between two pecan trees for shade. Still, getting a little crispy in the second week of August, plus the rain has slacked off. We've had alot more rain than usual this year and I'm sure that has helped. Hope it will continue to do well next year if we don't get as much moisture. We had a little snow (a rarity - first in seven years) about a month after flowers started opening but didn't lose any leaves or remaining buds. The flowers in the spring are worth the end of summer watering though for sure, plus I have gotten occasional random flowers all season. Has put on lots of green growth and gained at least a foot vertically.

Update 10/2009: My little Jane has made it through it's third summer and has established itself very well. No crispy leaves this summer even through the ridiculous June heat wave (with temps in excess of 100 degrees for about a week straight and no rain for a month+) We only watered it twice this year.

Neutral ic_conifers On Jun 18, 2007, ic_conifers from Iowa City, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Purchased a three foot speciment in May 2007, planted promptly in a mostly-sunny area. The plant promptly developed yellowing and spotting on leaves as well as what appears to a grayish mold. I have sprayed twice now, and plant seems to be improving. I purchased for $50 from a reputable nursery and the plant is warranteed, so I may have to replace next year if the plant does not beat this. I am frustrated because I want to plant additional magnolias near this but will wait until next year.

Neutral foxfiremn On May 22, 2007, foxfiremn from Duluth, MN wrote:

I have just purchased this plant from Sam's Club in zip code 55811. It states on the description card Magnolia "Jane". It further states that the cold hardiness is -30 to -35 degrees F.
This would put the plant in zone 3.
Your plant file says zone 5 is the maximum zone. Why the difference?

Neutral corkey1109 On Aug 30, 2006, corkey1109 from Granbury, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

i love this plant. but live in texas and planted in full sun,,,it blooms beautiful in the spring...but cant take the sun in august..we have really ran warm this summer...so it looks terrible at this time..plus we are in the middle of a drought./..which doesnt help either...ive had it for 1 whole year

Positive sladeofsky On Jun 3, 2006, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Jane was introduced by the USDA as one of the Eight Little Girl Hybrids. Flower color is deeper than the common saucer magnolia and the bloom time is a bit later, usually avoiding killing frosts. But the main attraction to Jane is her bloom period. After an initial spring flush of blooms she will bloom sporadically throughout the season until the next frost. Jane will bloom best in full sun but will appreciate afternoon shade in hot summer areas, especially in the South where part-shade is preferred. This Amercan introduction is not offered as often as it should be, so I suggest you consider purchasing one if you find it for sale. It may be a while before your next encounter.

Positive vossner On Jun 3, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Planted in fall 2004. Bloomed very little in winter 2004 and in winter 2005, probably due to milder than usual winters. Gets pretty crispy in the summer. Mine is in full sun, in z9, might be better to plant in part shade to avoid the crispy leaves. However, I have seen trees around here planted in full sun that do not get crispy.

Mar 2010: The particular plant I described above ultimately died. Too sunny and moist. I planted another one, this time in a shady and ave. moist location. Much better! Fertilize after blooming for more blooms the following season.

Blytheville, Arkansas