PlantFiles: Mexican Sage
Salvia mexicana 'Port de Zorro'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: mexicana (meks-sih-KAY-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Port de Zorro

» View all varieties of Salvias

Blue-Violet

By htop
Thumbnail #1 of Salvia mexicana by htop

By htop
Thumbnail #2 of Salvia mexicana by htop

Positive earthlife On Sep 21, 2009, earthlife from Westminster Station, VT wrote:

I have this plant in several large pots on my deck. They apparently have a large root system, so use large pots or planters. Mine have bloomed non-stop since early summer. I cut off the waning stalks of flowers, the branches thicken, and they bloom over and over again. I live in Vermont, and would like to cultivate their seeds so I can start my own in the spring, as I do with so many other of my deck plants.

Positive htop On Oct 16, 2004, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant performs best when provided morning sun and partial or dappled shade from midday on. It is more compact than Salvia Mexicana 'Limelight", but has the same chartreuse terminal leaf buds and lime-green colored calyxes. The leaves are a very deep green.

Update - This plant has performed very well for me. It has grown much larger than I had expected and has formed woody branches. I had to prune it because it has not frozen back in the winter the past 2 years. Give this plant plenty of room. I would say the width is over 4 feet and the height was 4.5 feet before I pruned it. The chartreuse terminal leaf buds and lime-green colored calyxes and blooms appear late in the season; however, the blooms are well worth waiting to enjoy.
Update - 10/9/10 This salvia froze back for the first time this winter when we had lows in the low teens. It grew back nicely and is in full bloom now.

Lincoln, California