Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

African Asparagus Fern, Bridal Creeper, Smilax

Asparagus asparagoides

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Asparagus (a-SPARE-uh-gus) (Info)
Species: asparagoides (as-par-a-GO-id-eez) (Info)
Synonym:Myrsiphyllum asparagoides

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Inconspicuous/none

This plant is fire-retardant

Alamo, California

Emerald Lake Hills, California

South Pasadena, California

Tustin, California

negative

On Feb 25, 2016, HillMom from Emerald Lake Hills, CA wrote:

My grandmother had this plant in her garden. She told me that it was used as garlands to decorate tables at weddings. It grew in an area my grandfather built for her that was covered with corrugated plastic. When we built our new home on the site of the old farmhouse, my good friend took the bulbs that were unearthed during the demolition so that I could introduce them back into my garden once it was established. She put them in a container with a small trellis and that's where the plant still lives. I have it on the front porch where it gets morning sun and water when I think of it (somewhat drought tolerant). It has not invaded the space near the container nor does it cause any irritation. It's really a lovely plant and when I look at it I always think of my grandmother.

On Oct 28, 2013, Kaelkitty from Adelaide,
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant is a Weed of National Significance in Australia! See http://www.weeds.org.au/WoNS/bridalcreeper/

On Apr 7, 2013, NICKnb11 from Tustin, CA wrote:

I am a florist and love using 'Smilax' in my wedding decorations. I recently found plants growing on a fence in an abandoned industrial complex. I dug up a few 'roots' and planted them, but does anyone know if the plant can be grown in containers? I am thinking 15 gallon containers. Will it grow in sun? Any growing advise is welcome.

On Apr 4, 2013, jlr13 from Hillsboro, OR wrote:

I now live in Oregon and am trying to find a place to get a start of the asparagus smilax vine. My garden, for the most part, is full of "older types" of plants; many of which I have moved several times over the last few years by slipping them.
In the "older days", before one could find a flower shop on nearly every corner, women would often tie a 10-12 foot string on a small stick about 3-6 inches away from the side of their barn and plant a smilax plant at the base of the stick to grow up the string which was then attached, vertically, to the side of the barn.
When a party came along the string was cut and the resulting vine would be wound back upon itself several times to create a crown of sorts. This would be worn to the party and often included other flowers, etc t... read more

On Sep 29, 2012, mcjarts from Alamo, CA wrote:

I dug up this plant from an estate that adjoined my property before the developers razed everything. The place was supposedly landscaped by McClaren who did Golden Gate Park in SF back before the turn of the century (20th century). There were incredible exotic plants there. I put the smilax in my garden in the 80's. Here, it dies down in the hot summer even with water. It has spread but is not invasive and it is wonderful in bouquets early fall and in the winter and spring before it dies down again. If you cut some tendrils and place them in a vase with flowers, winding the tendrils around the bouquet, it is incredible. No one around here has ever seen such a thing. Occasionally, high end florists still use it in bridal bouquets. I wish I could send a picture.

No thorns a... read more