African Asparagus Fern, Bridal Creeper, Smilax

Asparagus asparagoides

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Asparagus (a-SPARE-uh-gus) (Info)
Species: asparagoides (as-par-a-GO-id-eez) (Info)
Synonym:Myrsiphyllum asparagoides

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

This plant is fire-retardant

Alamo, California

Tustin, California

On Oct 28, 2013, Kaelkitty from Adelaide
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant is a Weed of National Significance in Australia! See

On Apr 7, 2013, NICKnb11 from Tustin, CA wrote:

I am a florist and love using 'Smilax' in my wedding decorations. I recently found plants growing on a fence in an abandoned industrial complex. I dug up a few 'roots' and planted them, but does anyone know if the plant can be grown in containers? I am thinking 15 gallon containers. Will it grow in sun? Any growing advise is welcome.

On Apr 4, 2013, jlr13 from Hillsboro, OR wrote:

I now live in Oregon and am trying to find a place to get a start of the asparagus smilax vine. My garden, for the most part, is full of "older types" of plants; many of which I have moved several times over the last few years by slipping them.
In the "older days", before one could find a flower shop on nearly every corner, women would often tie a 10-12 foot string on a small stick about 3-6 inches away from the side of their barn and plant a smilax plant at the base of the stick to grow up the string which was then attached, vertically, to the side of the barn.
When a party came along the string was cut and the resulting vine would be wound back upon itself several times to create a crown of sorts. This would be worn to the party and often included other flowers, etc t... read more

On Sep 29, 2012, mcjarts from Alamo, CA wrote:

I dug up this plant from an estate that adjoined my property before the developers razed everything. The place was supposedly landscaped by McClaren who did Golden Gate Park in SF back before the turn of the century (20th century). There were incredible exotic plants there. I put the smilax in my garden in the 80's. Here, it dies down in the hot summer even with water. It has spread but is not invasive and it is wonderful in bouquets early fall and in the winter and spring before it dies down again. If you cut some tendrils and place them in a vase with flowers, winding the tendrils around the bouquet, it is incredible. No one around here has ever seen such a thing. Occasionally, high end florists still use it in bridal bouquets. I wish I could send a picture.

No thorns a... read more