Japanese Pieris, Andromeda, Lily of the Valley Shrub 'Valley Rose'

Pieris japonica

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pieris (pee-AIR-iss) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Valley Rose

Pale Pink

This plant is resistant to deer

Dearborn Heights, Michigan

Olive Branch, Mississippi

Dayton, Ohio

On Jul 8, 2012, RexEdwardFairy from (Zone 10b) wrote:

Just bought one of these. In Australia, where I live they are marketed as temperate to subtropical. Subtropical being about 10-11 in USDA zones. So given I'm in a subtropical zone, I bought it. Interesting to then find this website (that I do a lot of research on - usually BEFORE I buy a plant) puts this as a Zone 4 plant. I'll see how I go and report back.

On Jun 30, 2010, pmsunderwood from Olive Branch, MS wrote:

In zone 7, mine looked great on my patio for a year, then i moved it into direct sun for a treat. MISTAKE! It liked being behind the screening of the patio. Bought 2 more to keep on the patio.

On Mar 31, 2006, johngrays from Lincolnton, NC wrote:

I bought a couple of these last fall planning to plant them then but never did.
They did fine in their pots I bought them in.
They were sitting under a tree.
I am in area 7b.
Northwest of Charlotte.

On Mar 20, 2006, sterhill from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

My neighbor has this plant and it stopped me in my tracks when I saw it Saturday. Magnificent! Had a million tiny bells all over it. She has it is a very shady area and her soil is ammended to where it is very rich.

On Mar 19, 2006, jladybug1 from Burkesville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I just purchased this plant and it looks wilted. I haven't planted it yet because I was afraid it might be too cool. We just went from 65-70 weather down to 40-45 weather. 03/19. I am new at this gardening and guess I will have to learn by trial & error unless someone knows if it is safe to plant this outside in this temperature

On May 4, 2005, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I don't recommend this plant for Summerville, SC. Don't know why, but it doesn't survive this climate (hot and humid) and/or soil conditions (clay, clay, clay). Sad, though, because it's such a beautiful plant.

On May 3, 2005, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

One of the newest favorites I have lots to learn about! It's delicate flowers are exquisite!