Amaryllis
Hippeastrum striatum

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hippeastrum (hip-ee-ASS-trum) (Info)
Species: striatum (stree-AH-tum) (Info)
Synonym:Hippeastrum rutilum

Bulbs

Late Fall/Early Winter

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Jones, Alabama

Clovis, California

Garberville, California

Brooksville, Florida

Indialantic, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Lutz, Florida

Elm Grove, Louisiana

Minneapolis, Minnesota

On Oct 24, 2006, raydio from Bessemer City, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this plant!

This species offsets plentifully and sets seeds abundantly. The offsets begin blooming when quite small--no waiting years for them to bloom as with most hybrids. Wow!

You can leave them growing in a cluster for a very pretty potted garden effect when they bloom.

More than that--it can bloom three times a year! Wow!

The orange color against a green lawn is very eye-catching and refreshing to look at in the summer when they're having their second bloom.

Usually has from 2-4 blooms per scape.

On Mar 10, 2006, krk4079 from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

I am having better luck in planting the newly harvested seeds rather quickly. Maybe a week's drying out and then into the mix. These seeds are recalcitrant, and store poorly as they do not have a hard, moisture proof cortex. This color, though not necessarily this variant, will appear if you manually pollinate blooms at home.

On Nov 7, 2004, boojum from Shelburne Falls, MA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Here in Massachusetts, I grow this bulb as a houseplant. I got it from my 1st cousin. It was our grandmother's plant in Brooklyn, NY. We believe it came from her sister who lived in Panama and it probably is from the 1950's (around 50 years old). It blooms twice a year for me and once a year for my cousin (Thanksgiving). It will probably outlive me! Last year it gave me seeds which I successfully germinated (!!). Now I have many bulblets which I hope to share with my children and other relatives.

On May 24, 2004, Dan_Brown from Elm Grove, LA wrote:

I have seen these and other cultivars blooming around here for decades, and I have a few but they are not faithful to bloom. I think mine are too crowded with other things and may not get enough sun or maybe too much. I have a neighbor up the road who is elderly and has a huge patch of them that bloom every spring faithfully and my brother-in-law who lives about 75 miles south has some that do well. When I can beg some from either of them I am going to try again. I sure enjoy their extreme loveliness. I have an apricot colored one, a solid red and a pink one, but seems like this year the only one to bloom was red and yellow and it a bit deformed.
Blessed, Dan Brown Elm Grove, LA

On Mar 27, 2004, onalee from Brooksville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

These lillies have been growing in my yard since we moved in 15 years ago - one JUST BLOOMED THIS YEAR! I've moved them several times to try and find a place they liked, but apparently they don't like to be moved. The ones that finally bloomed have been in their current home for 3 years and they are blooming in the spring, not the fall, as stated above. They are very pretty and the blooms are long lived, but it certainly has been a long wait to find out what they look like!!