Flaming Torch, Summer Torch, Billbergia, Bromeliad

Billbergia pyramidalis

Family: Bromeliaceae (bro-mee-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Billbergia (bil-BERG-a) (Info)
Species: pyramidalis (peer-uh-mid-AH-liss) (Info)

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Los Angeles, California

Caguas, Puerto Rico

Brownsville, Texas

Edinburg, Texas

On Jul 27, 2015, gappell from Palm City, FL wrote:

Yes, the flower is very beautiful, bright and showy. However, they last only a few days at peak beauty and then die off and look ugly. The plant is invasive, spreading very rapidly and pushing other bromeliads aside. The rest of the year it is just a green plant that is not a particularly attractive bromeliad. You only get one flower per year.

On Mar 4, 2013, minpin3165 from Port Charlotte, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have a large bunch alongside our pond in backyard and they have started to flower a week ago so now they are all out and looking beautiful. the colors are just gorgeous.

On Jan 3, 2011, SouthernGal from Naples, FL wrote:

This plant is a show stopper! I recommend planting them in mass around the base of a tree or in large swooping planting areas. Every few years I get a crop of snails and have to put some bait down but they are still very controllable. Mine came from the Sarasota Garden Club grounds after downsizing the area under an oak. They remind me of when I lived there.

On Apr 20, 2008, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

These plants stack up when planted under trees. They flower in August and are beautiful for a few weeks. They are very showy here in central Florida. Mosquitos love to breed in them, so don't plant them close to the porch.

On Jul 11, 2006, Dinu from Mysore
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

Wonderful plant to have. Does not ask for much attention. A farmer-friend told me that his father used to tell him that if banana peels are put into this plant (not the soil), it gives frequent blooms! He shared that information with me and I am going to try this season, 2006. The colour is a lovely shade of red, bright but not dark. The blue stigma and yellow stamens add to joy if looked from close range. Very striking!

On Oct 16, 2004, Delisa from Wildwood, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant was a gift from a friend a few years ago. You can never have to many of them. I have never watered or fertilized and there are new plants that bloom every year. This plant is very bright red. One of my favorite all time plants. Plant DOES NOT have spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling