PlantFiles: Pink Wood Sorrel
Oxalis crassipes 'Rosea'

Family: Oxalidaceae
Genus: Oxalis (oks-AL-iss) (Info)
Species: crassipes (KRASS-ih-peez) (Info)
Cultivar: Rosea

Thumbnail #5 of Oxalis crassipes by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #6 of Oxalis crassipes by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #7 of Oxalis crassipes by DaylilySLP

Positive in2art On Apr 4, 2013, in2art from Bellevue, WA wrote:

I have battled the spreading white oxalis for years. A friend offered me this and I refused it, even though she insisted it was well-behaved. I watched it in her garden for several years and finally took a start. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this plant. It forms a thick clump that is almost perfectly rounded and flowers all summer. In my area, it dies back some in harsher winters, but is mostly evergreen. I have since repeated this plant in various parts of my garden.

Positive coriaceous On Oct 8, 2012, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A beautiful plant that produces plentiful good pink flowers in shade continuously from early summer till frost! There are forms in a range of colors from white through pale pink to mid-pink. In the Southeastern US, this is a common pass-along plant.

This does not normally go summer dormant in New England. The attractive foliage resists light frosts and is only reluctantly deciduous here. In milder climates, it can be evergreen.

I find it's tough and adaptable. I have not found it to be either aggressive or miffy. I lost it one exceptionally cold winter when day temps didn't rise above the single digits (F) for over six weeks. This isn't hard to find by mail-order. I can't recommend this plant highly enough.

This plant forms a tidy round clump for me about 8" high and a foot wide. I have never seen it self-sow, and growth of the finger-like rhizome is slow. Identifying oxalis species can be a challenge, and some species can be nasty weeds, but not this one.

This species originally comes from Argentina, Uruguay, and Brazil. In US nurseries, it is most commonly listed as Oxalis crassipes. Technically, it seems that the currently accepted botanical name of the plant under consideration is Oxalis articulata ssp. rubra f. crassipes, although you will find this plant listed under a dozen or more different names. These might include Oxalis rubra 'Rosea', Oxalis rubra 'Pink', Oxalis crassipes, Oxalis crassipes 'Rosea', Oxalis articulata 'Rosea', Oxalis articulata 'Pink', and many others.

Positive suguy On May 29, 2011, suguy from Simi Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

By far the easiest and most hardy of any Oxalis I grow.
Out in the garden it comes into its glory in March and goes strong until early May.
In pots it keeps going into early Summer.

The plant has a natural low-dome shape that fits in nicely in the garden.

This particular Oxalis doesn't grow from bulbs -- but has huge, woody underground rhizomes that propagate easily.

I haven't had any issues with it "escaping" and making a nuisance of itself. My beds are on the dry side.
But I have seen it spread itself around in a client's garden -- but fortunately he likes it.

Always have some of these to trade.

Dan