Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Pink Wood Sorrel 'Rosea'

Oxalis crassipes

Family: Oxalidaceae
Genus: Oxalis (oks-AL-iss) (Info)
Species: crassipes (KRASS-ih-peez) (Info)
Cultivar: Rosea

Temple, Texas

Blacksburg, Virginia

Bellevue, Washington

On May 3, 2016, 175trd from Brownsburg, IN wrote:

I planted this lovely plant last fall and it is not coming back up this year. Any suggestions.

On Apr 4, 2013, in2art from Bellevue, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have battled the spreading white oxalis for years. A friend offered me this and I refused it, even though she insisted it was well-behaved. I watched it in her garden for several years and finally took a start. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this plant. It forms a thick clump that is almost perfectly rounded and flowers all summer. In my area, it dies back some in harsher winters, but is mostly evergreen. I have since repeated this plant in various parts of my garden.

On Oct 8, 2012, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Commonly called "strawberry oxalis" or "pink-sorrel". There are many species of pink wood sorrel.

A beautiful plant that produces an abundance of clear pink flowers in shade continuously from early summer till frost! There are forms in a range of colors from white through pale pink to mid-pink. In the southeastern US, this is a common pass-along plant.

In many hot-summer climates, it goes summer dormant, re-growing its leaves and flowering when the cooler weather of fall arrives. In Boston, it continues in leaf and flower from spring to frost. The attractive foliage resists light frosts and is only reluctantly deciduous here. In milder climates, it can be evergreen.

I find it's tough and adaptable. I have not found it to be either aggressive or... read more

On May 29, 2011, suguy from Simi Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

By far the easiest and most hardy of any Oxalis I grow.
Out in the garden it comes into its glory in March and goes strong until early May.
In pots it keeps going into early Summer.

The plant has a natural low-dome shape that fits in nicely in the garden.

This particular Oxalis doesn't grow from bulbs -- but has huge, woody underground rhizomes that propagate easily.

I haven't had any issues with it "escaping" and making a nuisance of itself. My beds are on the dry side.
But I have seen it spread itself around in a client's garden -- but fortunately he likes it.

Always have some of these to trade.

Dan