Pink Wood Sorrel
Oxalis crassipes 'Rosea'

Family: Oxalidaceae
Genus: Oxalis (oks-AL-iss) (Info)
Species: crassipes (KRASS-ih-peez) (Info)
Cultivar: Rosea

Irving, Texas

Blacksburg, Virginia

Bellevue, Washington

On Apr 4, 2013, in2art from Bellevue, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have battled the spreading white oxalis for years. A friend offered me this and I refused it, even though she insisted it was well-behaved. I watched it in her garden for several years and finally took a start. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this plant. It forms a thick clump that is almost perfectly rounded and flowers all summer. In my area, it dies back some in harsher winters, but is mostly evergreen. I have since repeated this plant in various parts of my garden.

On Oct 8, 2012, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A beautiful plant that produces plentiful good pink flowers in shade continuously from early summer till frost! There are forms in a range of colors from white through pale pink to mid-pink. In the Southeastern US, this is a common pass-along plant.

This does not normally go summer dormant in New England. The attractive foliage resists light frosts and is only reluctantly deciduous here. In milder climates, it can be evergreen.

I find it's tough and adaptable. I have not found it to be either aggressive or miffy. I lost it one exceptionally cold winter when day temps didn't rise above the single digits (F) for over six weeks. This isn't hard to find by mail-order. I can't recommend this plant highly enough.

This plant forms a tidy round clump fo... read more

On May 29, 2011, suguy from Simi Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

By far the easiest and most hardy of any Oxalis I grow.
Out in the garden it comes into its glory in March and goes strong until early May.
In pots it keeps going into early Summer.

The plant has a natural low-dome shape that fits in nicely in the garden.

This particular Oxalis doesn't grow from bulbs -- but has huge, woody underground rhizomes that propagate easily.

I haven't had any issues with it "escaping" and making a nuisance of itself. My beds are on the dry side.
But I have seen it spread itself around in a client's garden -- but fortunately he likes it.

Always have some of these to trade.

Dan