PlantFiles: Japanese Spurge, Pachysandra
Pachysandra terminalis 'Green Carpet'

Family: Buxaceae
Genus: Pachysandra (pak-ih-SAN-druh) (Info)
Species: terminalis (term-in-AL-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Green Carpet

Partial to Full Shade

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)
5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By bigcityal
Thumbnail #1 of Pachysandra terminalis by bigcityal

By kierkier
Thumbnail #2 of Pachysandra terminalis by kierkier

Positive devinskelton On Jun 15, 2013, devinskelton from BEACON FALLS, CT wrote:

I love this ground cover - I can't get enough of it. I started off with a few patches on my property and have relocated to surrounds under most of my trees. Our property is mostly shade and the pachysandra loves it here. I bought some started plants once but they took forever to fill in. I now watch Craigslist for adds giving it away fro free. In New England it can really take over if you don't edge it in. To transplant large sections in a hurry I roll it up like sod - cutting about 18" wide strips about 6 feet long. I use a flat blade shovel to cut under the roots and roll it up. When I get to the destination I can cut it into smaller sections and position it where I need it or just roll it out.

It stands up to light treading if you need to work on/around it. I use a 6" deep plastic edging and have no troubles with it going over or under the edging.

Positive kierkier On Apr 13, 2011, kierkier from Iowa City, IA wrote:

I like the height of this ground cover and I find the blossoms fragrant, though i don't see that noted elsewhere on this forum. In fact I bought them for their fragrance from the local garden center. I think the blossoms are sweet-honey scented, and they bloomed early this spring after I planted them last spring in zone 4/5.

They are spreading gradually as I spaced them ~14" apart, but I have seen dense cover and they look wonderful - like a raised carpet.

Neutral echoes On Sep 29, 2006, echoes from South of Winnipeg, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

This plant is hardy in my Manitoba garden.

Positive bigcityal On Dec 12, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Decent slow spreading groundcover. Some flowers earlier in the year. Likes shade can tolerate some sun. Some insect and disease problems.

Neutral smiln32 On Dec 4, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is probably hardy to zone 3. It makes an awesome groundcover. The foliage is a waxy dark green. It grows very well in full shade. It prefers somewhat moist conditions. It cannot tolerate hard soils (clay). It reaches a height of 10-12". Blooms are inconspicuous.

Little Rock, Arkansas