Tree Peony

Montara, California

Lexington, Massachusetts

Glenshaw, Pennsylvania

On Apr 19, 2012, cassiemcclellan wrote:

Here in Salem Oregon, I purchased this plant approx 7 years ago before I knew anything about Peony's. It has never bloomed and I wasn't sure if it was in a poor place so I almost moved it. I went to to plant show and talked with someone from the peony society and found out that the person I purchased the plant from started this from seed and it can take 5-9 years to bloom. Low and behold this year it is loaded with buds. It is is part sun in moist soil. Can't wait to see the blooms!

On May 18, 2011, Wini51 from Norwich
United Kingdom wrote:

Hi Dave, I am about to purchase this plant and I've done some investigation on it, so I hope will be helpful for both of us, also perhaps after this year, you will definitely see those flowers. Here's what I found out.
The photographs I have seen tell me this is an absolutely stunning tree Peony. It has very large (4" across) delicate saucer shaped vivid yellow flowers in April to June. Deciduous and distinctive bright-green leaves, each with 9 leaflets, deeply cut into pointed lobes. It has a vigorous upright growth.
It grows to about 6-7 feet high and 4-5 feet across; I understand you do need plenty of space for it and can display its beauty as a stand-alone specimen.
The downside is that it may take up to 1 year to germinate the seed and around 3 - 4 years from th... read more

On Apr 30, 2011, rewalley from Glenshaw, PA wrote:

I planted this variety of tree peony in my Pittsburgh, PA garden in April, 2004; it was bought locally. The garden is in high shade provided by some red oaks, about 75 feet in height, whose lowest branches are about 30 ft. From ground level.

The plant has survived, not thrived, putting up 1-3 new shoots in each of the past 3yrs. It's overall height at present is 2.5 ft. Needless to say, I have yet to see the first flower.

Given that growing a yellow peony Is not for the impatient, am I to be congratulated for my patience or laughed at for my cock-eyed optimism?