Comfortroot
Hibiscus aculeatus

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: aculeatus (ah-kew-lee-AY-tus) (Info)
» View all varieties of Hibiscus

Pale Yellow

Cream/Tan

Late Fall/Early Winter

From hardwood heel cuttings

By air layering

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Green Cove Springs, Florida

Wakulla Springs, Florida

Loganville, Georgia

Lula, Georgia

Folsom, Louisiana

On Aug 3, 2013, Ramonalea from Tallahassee, FL wrote:

We have lived here for 3 years and this is the first time we have spotted this plant (Comfortroot). Very attractive creamy white blossom with a deep burgundy throat. It has a sticky ruff type stem and leaves. Blossom immediately started to close once we picked it to identify it.
Looks to be a nice plant to grow in the wilds around our home.

On May 15, 2012, trackinsand from mid central, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

i received a bonus packet of seed when i ordered a Kosteletzkya virginica. planted them early this spring and my first flower opened this morning.
i have them planted in filtered morning sun and they also get full late afternoon sun. it is a fairly wet area of my garden and they seem to like it there so far.

On Jun 26, 2010, PammiePi from Green Cove Springs, FL wrote:

Found growing wild on the edges of pine flats in NE Florida, a very stunning plants when in bloom. Leaves are also unique. I have one specimen growing in my yard. I hope to have more! Another group I found was growing in semi-shade (mostly shade) on the very edge of the woods along the road, in a drier area of the woods, where the soil is a mix of sand & clay. Seems like a hardy plant.

On Sep 25, 2008, kdaustin from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful colored flowers, very fuzzy attractive foliage.
I would agree with an earlier reviewer that it looks a lot like okra. But thats ok with me, I grow okra in my flowerbed b/c I think its so pretty.
I haven't planted mine in the ground yet, its been 3 years, but still no "perfect" spot. For two years I had it in its original 1 gallon nursery pot, where it uncomplainingly grew to 4' tall and bloomed like mad. Then I moved into a 16" diameter clay pot with a 'Maple Sugar' Hibiscus and some bronze "Sweet Caroline" potato vine. It liked that better and got 5' tall and very lush. Too bad I can't seperate the plants now! I have some seedlings growing in my watergardens, doing well. If you like hibiscus/ native plants seek this yellow beauty out.

On Aug 6, 2008, cedar18 from Lula, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

PDN says 48" tall. It's 36" in poor clay on a slope for me but 60" under good conditions. The seeds pods are quite large and turn brown so I prune most off. It's a good light yellow for the back of the border. Seeds but not excessively.

On May 23, 2006, soulgardenlove from Marietta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Of 12 hibiscus studied, one of the three top performers for resistance to the Hibiscus Saw Fly. By the Southern Horticultural Lab in MS.

From The Plant Delights web site description: Also known as Pinelands Mallow. This wonderful native from NC, south and west to Texas, is one of the lesser-known of our native mallows. H. aculeatus is found in upland bogs, roadside ditches, and coastal pinelands within the Southeast. Although it likes moist feet, we have had very good luck growing it in raised sandy berms with regular watering. The fuzzy 4' stems are clothed with lobed, okra-like leaves.

From the leaf axils, plenty of 4-5" open, cone-shaped, light yellow flowers highlighted with a dark purple eye are produced from early summer until fall. Virtually everyt... read more