PlantFiles: Variegated Virginia Creeper
Parthenocissus quinquefolia 'Monham'

Family: Vitaceae (vee-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Parthenocissus (par-then-oh-KISS-us) (Info)
Species: quinquefolia (kwin-kway-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Monham
Additional cultivar information: (PP10128, aka Star Showers)
Hybridized by Fincham; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1996

Thumbnail #3 of Parthenocissus quinquefolia by ridesredmule

By spadyx
Thumbnail #4 of Parthenocissus quinquefolia by spadyx

Positive spadyx On Jul 20, 2013, spadyx from Milwaukee, WI wrote:

It's hard to believe that the person who posted the negative comment was growing the variegated variety of this species as my plant is 15 years old and barely 6 ft tall. The straight (non variegated) species can be, as they described, quite rampant.

Positive 1gr8blonde On Jul 5, 2013, 1gr8blonde from Lawton, OK wrote:

I love the variegated. I had a beautiful specimen potted and common Virginia creeper growing wild below it. My lawn man must have had a new employee that thought it was poison ivy. My beautiful plant is now GONE. Looking for another plant.

Negative creash On Oct 4, 2012, creash from Logansport, IN wrote:

Due to my neighbors' complete lack of yard care, this plant has grown through their fence and is taking over my fence and trying to grow up the sides of my house and sheds. This can cause damage to siding and fences. I am constantly pulling it down. No matter how much you pull it down, you just can't get rid of it.

Neutral ccilch On Nov 15, 2009, ccilch from Venice, FL wrote:

I found this vine growing wild in my yard and got its name by posting a pic and cry for help on the plant ID forum. I needed to know more about it before handling it and have learned it can cause skin irritation but it's a pretty vine and I shall keep it...!

Positive MYXOMOP On Aug 26, 2009, MYXOMOP wrote:

I am the person who discovered Star Showers at Walker Township, Schuylkill County, PA. My village is New England Valley, but the post office is Tamaqua 18252. l found a whole colony of the plant growing on a wooded embankment in 1974. l could never get it to grow in my yard because the deer kept ravaging it. l gave it to my friend who showed it to Monrovia. They loved it. All the creepers have some variegation in that area. Some more than others. lf l look, l should find more with good quality.

l have found Quercus coccinea with salt & pepper variegation but it would not keep with age. l found a bright leutino of it but could never propagate it. l had a variegated Quercus alba, but it died. l found a leutino Norway maple, propagated it, but it defoliates in mid summer. l found a Norway spruce that grows 1/4''/yr. lt looked like a pincushion. lt too is gone. l also had a Trillium undulatum that was 4-merous. l lost it.

Neutral ravenskies On Aug 4, 2008, ravenskies from London, Ontario

I had to rate my experience with Star Showers virginia creeper only because after I bought the plant, it died. That would normally be a bad thing, but the following summer [this past July], I was weeding the garden that I created in the same location as my dead Star Showers Virginia creeper, and what did I find growing under some other plants but my 'dead' virginia creeper!
I live in London, Ontario, which is considered zone 5, which is the nothernmost range for this plant. This plant is now doing great, and it is thriving in its new location in my partially shady herb/flower garden. It gets very little sunlight, as it is currently living in the shadow of a deep purple Canna Lilly, which contrasts beautifully against the varigated foliage of the vine.

Positive JerusalemCherry On Jun 24, 2007, JerusalemCherry from Dunellen, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

*** Ever wonder how Virginia Creeper got its name? My best guess is someone from Virginia named it years ago. An old text book I have gives some good info on this plants name. Latin name is Parthenocissus quinquefolia, from greek parthenos (a virgin) and kissos (ivy) referring to the common name Virginia Creeper. The quinquefolia part meens with five leaves (leaflets).

This variety is not as invasive as the regular Virginia Creeper & is very showey. On this website, they also have listed Parthenocissus quinquefolia 'Variegata', which is Variegated Virginia Creeper. I think its the same as this Star Showers variety.

I keep mine potted on a deck.. Most people comment on how great it looks, I would recommend it as this plant is very easy to care for. Virginia Creeper will tolerate almost any kind of soil, as well as drought, heat, wind, air pollution, flooding and exposure. However, it appreciates loamy type soil that is somewhat acid (pH 5.1 to 7.5).

This variety of Virginia Creeper is very showy. Does not grow as fast as the standard the VC plant & it has the same care as the original species. I have two of these plants. One is grown outside in the ground & the other is grown as a bonsai.

Known cultivars as follows...
First we have Engelmanni - Smaller leaves and better clinging characteristics than the standered species. Next is Monham (Star Showers TM) - The leaves have white variegations. The tag that came with my Virginia Creeper says, Parthenocissus quinquefolia 'Monham' Plant Patent No. 10128, Star Showers. The company that grew it is Monrovia, listed out of Azusa, CA 91702. And lastly is Variegata - A less vigorous vine than the species, leaves marked with yellow and white then developing a pink and red fall color.

Venice, Florida