Lady Tulip
Tulipa clusiana 'Lady Jane'

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tulipa (TOO-li-pa) (Info)
Species: clusiana (kloo-zee-AN-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Lady Jane

Christiana, Tennessee

Meridian, Texas

Salt Lake City, Utah

On Sep 21, 2014, AmyInNH from Brookline, NH wrote:

Absolutely exquisite. First saw this in the NYC High Line park and couldn't resist. Tried this in my yard, no trouble coming up in bad soil in bad location.

On Jan 31, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Elegant, showy flowers with very little foliage. That means less mess when they die down than with the big leafy hybrids. Even the buds are pretty. Bloom time is fairly late in the tulip season.

Few tulips persist long here in Boston Z6a. These have naturalized for me under less than ideal conditions, not just returning but increasing the number of flowering bulbs. I rarely water in summer---all tulips prefer dryness in summer and can rot under regular irrigation.

Very inexpensive, too!

On Mar 30, 2013, Gascoigne from Shawnee Mission, KS (Zone 5a) wrote:

These naturalize like CRAZY here in eastern Kansas. LOVE them, as well as the t. tardas, turkestanicas, clusianas, humilis etc. I have grown some from seed but it takes way too long to make waiting worthwhile for many people....esp. if you can just get bulbs. As with all tulips...this species is native to central Asia...such as Iran, Turkey, poss. Afghanistan. Do not overwater the area too much over summer or they can rot, but a lot less likely to happen as with all the big Dutch hybrids/cultivars.

On Feb 12, 2013, moonsheller from Sumter, SC wrote:

This tulip has thrived and multiplied in my SC garden. I started with 6 bulbs a few years ago and I now have two clumps of about 15. I disagree on the seeds. Mine do set seeds if the stems are not cut too soon and the seeds have sprouted into blooming bulbs several feet away from the parent clump. These are sited with very good summer drainage.

On Mar 8, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I planted some last fall 2007. Now in a month I will see if they comes up - they are the first that I planted of Tulipa clusiana. They have comes up and bloomed - high rate from bulbs planted - white flowers with reddish wide stripes on the outside of the petal - only see when the flowers close their buds when darkness falls or cloudy days. Later bloomer than Tulipa tarpa and some other species including Tulipa humilis.

On Mar 19, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my very first yr growing tulips as I had always heard they did not do well in Georgia. I ordered these last year b/c they are reputed (along with a few others) to be good for warmer climes and will return. I am hoping they do indeed come back next year. I really like this pretty white tulip but alas it has no discernible fragrance. My other species tulips did.

If these babies return next yr, I'll be back to give them a positive rating!