PlantFiles: Species Tulip
Tulipa 'Little Beauty'

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tulipa (TOO-li-pa) (Info)
Cultivar: Little Beauty

By plantaholic186
Thumbnail #6 of Tulipa  by plantaholic186

By Fairy1004
Thumbnail #7 of Tulipa  by Fairy1004

Positive eolivas103 On Apr 2, 2014, eolivas103 from Las Cruces, NM (Zone 8a) wrote:

Really liked this Tulip. It has a sorta prehistoric air about it. Mine grew very close to the ground. And sent out 4 leaves in pinwheel fashion. Ok I like offbeat and wierd so I am not sure they are for everyone but for me they were the cutest things. Now what I am not sure of is how they will do for next year. Very few of my tulips perennialize. And last year I tried to grow Albocaerulea Oculata Group and not only did it fail to bloom for me last year, it did not return. Hopefully these little guys do.

Neutral junebugblack On May 8, 2010, junebugblack from Gadsden, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

I would rate the species Tulip 'Little Beauty' neutral at best. I knew the flowers would be small, but they were smaller than I expected, and bloomed for a very short period of time. Kaufmanniana and greigii tulips are supposed to be some of the better tulips for the South, so I ordered 'Shakespeare', 'Red Riding Hood', 'Little Beauty', and 'Hearts Delight'. Of these four, 'Shakespeare' was by far the most showy and had very long-lasting brilliant red blooms. At the end of the blooming period, I actually pulled the others up and put them in the compost pile. I will order more 'Shapespeare', but must wait another year or two to see if they really do come back and bloom year after year in north Alabama.

Positive nevadagdn On Mar 24, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

This tulip is vigorous and indestructible, almost to the point of invasive. It's also gorgeous. I have a large planter with these that has to be thinned every 2-3 years, and I just plant all the extras out in my rocks/clay in front. They all come up, and they all bloom.

Little Rock, Arkansas