PlantFiles: Mock Orange
Philadelphus 'Innocence'

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Philadelphus (fil-uh-DEL-fuss) (Info)
Cultivar: Innocence

By Chantell
Thumbnail #4 of Philadelphus  by Chantell

By Gardening_Jim
Thumbnail #5 of Philadelphus  by Gardening_Jim

Positive Sandwichkatexan On Apr 1, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

This plant hated full sun here in Central Texas. So I dug it up and moved it under a large Live Oak. Now it is six feet tall and flowers heavily . I guess in our area it needs full shade .

Positive jrbloomer On Jul 16, 2010, jrbloomer from Highland Home, AL wrote:

Having lived in a city of south central Alabama all my life, gardening was not something promoted by my parents. In late March of this year I moved even further south in Alabama to a home in the "real" country. As spring blew in the grounds came to life with more flowers and shrubs than I had ever seen. Almost every day I discovered something new. The one thing that dazzled me the most was discovering an English Dogwood in full bloom. I was so stunned at its simplistic and pure beauty that I stopped dead in my tracks. I stood and stared at it with chills running all over my body and being so overwhelmed, tears began flowing down my cheeks. I was speechless and in complete awe at this superb shrub. It had no fragrance but its beauty made up for it. I hadn't even noticed it before it bloomed but here it was, commanding attention and overshadowing all else around it. It was nothing short of spectacular. Even though its blooming time was rather short, it still ranks #1 over all the roses, azaleas, camelias, daylilies, hydrangeas, gardenias, crepe myrtles, dogwoods, flowering quince, canna lilies, bridal wreaths, phlox, petunias, oxalis, naked ladies, mystery lilies, altheas, lamb's ears and irises surrounding it. Quite a lovely surprise and exquisite little gem!

Positive Niere On May 24, 2010, Niere from Chepachet, RI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I acquired my plant through the mail as a little slip--the poor thing has not had it easy! It stayed in a pot for far too long and then when it finally got planted out the deer kept nibbling at it. However, it has perservered and is really doing well now. This is one tough plant and is really quite attractive--I usually don't like green/yellow variegation, but this is nice. And the fragrance is heavenly--sweeter and more potent than regular mock orange, which is divine in itself. If you are considering this cultivar I would definitely recommend it.

Positive braun06 On Jun 2, 2009, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I generally find older mock orange cultivars to be ugly. I also tend to dislike variegation. This cultivar though changes those opinions for me. The variegation is gentle on this plant and provides something else besides flower. I appreciate how quickly it grows as well. I just planted it 4 weeks ago and it has been growing quite steadily already. *updated spring 2010. The plant is getting ready to flower after being 12" when planted last year, it is now around 2.5'-3'. Every branch is loaded with flower buds. Variegation appears strongest on new faster growing shoots from the ground. In flower it was a real performer and within a couple of weeks into bloom I finally detected fragrance during the day in the sunlight. It is very good smelling. It smells like orange trees in blossom. I highly recommend this plant for a scent of tropical distant locales in northern regions.

Positive Ivy1 On Jun 12, 2005, Ivy1 from Mystic, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

Mock Orange "Innocence" is blooming the first year! It is a stunner. Speckled foliage in shades of yellow and green, but still delicate and not too showy. It has grown steadily, has a pleasing shape so far without pruning, and nothing is eating it either, which is a big plus in my yard. Came through the winter well, with no dieback. See one if you can, it's a real beauty.

Positive mkjones On May 15, 2005, mkjones from Aurora, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

My first experience with mock orange. I purchased this seedling via mail order, and true to form, it bloomed its first season! I love the variegation and the heavenly-scented blossoms.

Highland Home, Alabama