PlantFiles: Chrysanthemum, Garden Mum, Florist's Mum
Chrysanthemum x grandiflorum 'Harmony'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Chrysanthemum (kris-AN-the-mum) (Info)
Species: x grandiflorum (gran-dih-FLOR-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Harmony
Additional cultivar information: (PP11830; EC Prophets Series; aka Empire Harmony)
Hybridized by Fuess; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1999

Thumbnail #1 of Chrysanthemum x grandiflorum by lmelling

By dicentra63
Thumbnail #2 of Chrysanthemum x grandiflorum by dicentra63

Positive lmelling On Oct 18, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

When I started growing mums here in zone 5, I was told by one of the local nurserymen that to have success with them, I need to get the fall mums into the ground as soon as possible in late summer when they arrive at the stores. This will allow them to develop "side shoots" and once having done that, should have a much better chance of overwintering in our severe winter climate.

Harmony is another of the "Prophet" series from theflowerfields.com. I purchased it this year (04) along with the "Christine" mums in August so they would have time to develop side shoots prior to the ground freezing. The foliage is a wonderful mid green and contrast nicely with the light to bright orange of the flowers. I have it planted in an area with full sun and moist/well drained soil. I am hoping it will overwinter and come back next year. To date here in zone 5, I have only had one type of mum (unknown purple) that faithfully comes back year after year, and which I continue to divide and move around the property.

Now that fall is here, our local deer herd have found my yard once more and have repeatedly browsed this mum over the course of the last month. It springs back within a week after each browsing, and cool nights (several nights of 32-34 degree weather) have not stopped it, although the flowers of some of my older established mums seem to have taken a hit.

Ithaca, New York