Yellow Grove Bamboo, Yellow Groove Bamboo
Phyllostachys aureosulcata

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phyllostachys (fy-lo-STAK-iss) (Info)
Species: aureosulcata (aw-ree-oh-sul-KAY-ta) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Provides winter interest

Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania

American Fork, Utah

Ahtanum, Washington

On Apr 20, 2012, Hikaro_Takayama from Fayetteville, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is the most commonly grown bamboo in PA, and I've seen it growing just about everywhere in the state, from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh and as far North as Shamokin. It seems to have become naturalized along the Susquehanna River drainage, due to the fact that I've seen it growing along the river in places where there are no existing houses or buildings, nor would they be likely places to put any kind of building due to the area being in the river's flood zone. My theory is that sections of rhizomes were washed out from existing plantings during past spring floods, and lodged somewhere downstream where they started a new grove. This theory is based on similar methods used by Arundinaria gigantea (our native bamboo) to spread along river bottoms.

The shoots ARE edible, ... read more

On Aug 22, 2007, David_Paul from Clinton, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

My father planted Yellow Groove, Phyllostachys aureosulcata, in CT 42 years ago. From a 5 gallon pot my sister now has a grove which runs 170' and provides a nice barrier. Pretty much carefree in this zone. Not that invasive for us because of the terrain and climate. Been through many hard freezes and dry summers.

On Aug 22, 2007, tropicsofohio from Hilliard, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

im in love with this plant. its simply amazing!the leaves keep dieing as a result of the drought, but i water it and 2 hours later its as if there is no drought to speak of! simply amazing!!!

dec. 15:
starting to shoot. is that normal?

On May 28, 2007, adventurer from Flagstaff, AZ (Zone 5a) wrote:

I bought a Phyllostachys aureosulcata from a local nursery in 1995 when I read it was hardy to -20 F. And it has been! Here in Flagstaff, Arizona, at 7000 feet we can have very cold winter nights, and occasional freezing temps into June and starting again in September. Even after repeated heavy snows and bending to the ground, this bamboo has held up fantastically, adding new stems each year to the clump and greening up each spring.

I knew from the start that it was is notorious invasive, so I originally planned to prune and barrier any attempts at spreading. Interestingly, it has never produced a runner all these 12 years, and it never grows over 8 feet high. Maybe it's a combination of the long winter and the dryness (we get under 23 inches of precip a year, and I only wa... read more

On May 16, 2006, cngodles from Leechburg, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I know of a large grove in the woods. It's in the middle of zone 5b. I have transplanted several culms and I meet about a 90% success rate in getting them started.

A transplant that I moved in late April grew a 1/2" shoot 3 weeks later. The shoot maxed out growing 12 inches a day. It grew to be about 9 feet tall. That was good for a first year shoot.

On Jan 22, 2006, joegee from Bucyrus, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is planted in a sheltered area hemmed in on one side by the neighbor's driveway, on the other sides by the porch, a sidewalk, and a mostly unoccupied flower bed. It is in very rich soil, and receives a significant amount of rainfall due to a downspout that empties near its base.

I didn't use a barrier, which may have been a major mistake. Here in 5b/6a I didn't want to do anything that limited its growth. I am planning on harvesting and dividing rhizomes on a fairly regular basis, and I wasn't certain this plant wasn't marginal in my area anyways.

It has remained evergreen even with subzero temperatures, and seems to survive flooding, and even frozen standing water, with no problem.

It's now May 2006, and I have nine eight inch tall (on... read more

On Nov 12, 2005, MitchF from Lindsay, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

grows like crazy around here...

On Dec 24, 2004, henryr10 from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

Positive w/ Caution.
Like ALL running Bamboo this one MUST be barrier-ed or grown in a container.
The underground runners are at least 1/2" across and can pierce heavy pond liner w/ ease.

We first got the plant in 1999, 5 gallon pot, 7' tall.
It took 4 years to really get moving.
It is now 8' across (w/ barrier) and over 25' tall.

Here in Zone 6/7 it is evergreen but can get severe winter die back from sub-zero temps, especially in unprotected areas.

The 'Crooked Stem' type is the most sought after.
In China, the country of origin, it was thought to be bowing to the Emperor and cultivated for the ruling classes.

If you get this type DO NOT attempt to straighten the bowing stems as they will snap ... read more