Swedish Columnar Aspen
Populus tremula

Family: Salicaceae (sal-i-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Populus (POP-yoo-lus) (Info)
Species: tremula (TREM-yoo-luh) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Burlington, Kentucky

West Kill, New York

Altamont, Oregon

Klamath Falls, Oregon

negative

On Aug 28, 2012, Nkytree from Burlington, KY wrote:

I have the cultivar 'Erecta' growing here at my home in Northern Kentucky. So far, no leaf spot and next to no suckering. The bark does not seem to be as white as P. tremuloides but it is still a pleasing light green and smooth on young trees at least.

New foliage emerges bronze, and fall color is a stunning mix of gold, orange, and red.

On Jan 1, 2005, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

These are very weedy invasive trees in my sparse mountain clay. While the leaves hang on later than most in our climate and turn a very pretty pale yellow in fall and rustle nicely in windy weather all summer, the trees send out lengthy root runners that pop up 100s of yards away from the parent tree. I never know when I will encounter an arm-thick root running about a foot below ground when I dig. Cutting off the surface shoot will just encourage the roots to meander farther. Whenever I saw through pieces and leave them in place, I get new trees. Be careful where you plant these--you will soon have a large grove.

On Dec 30, 2004, lefty10 from Klamath Falls, OR wrote:

I have used this tree in design projects from Colorado to Southern Oregon. Great for mountain projects and for blending into the surrounding environment