Sweet Cherry 'Stella'

Prunus avium

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: avium (AY-vee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Stella

Hummelstown, Pennsylvania

Little Elm, Texas

Renton, Washington

On Jan 12, 2011, AlexanderSam from Jackson, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Does anyone know if this is the same as the compact stella cherry from the Territorial Seed catalogue?
I noticed that Farmerdill said this was a semi-dwarf variety reaching 15-18 ft. Is the Territorial one a fully dwarf variety? The catalogue and website both say 8-10 ft.
I'll link the online page for it in case you want to look.

On Aug 9, 2010, oregonwoodsmoke from Terrebonne, OR wrote:

Stella is a very heavy cropper. The cherries have good cherry flavor.

Because of the birds, I have to pick most fruit before it is fully ripe and it still tastes good. Fruit that has a chance to get fully ripe is excellent.

Stella is planted in an extra cold spot in my very cold (dry) zone 5. Stella has been fine with the weather until last year when temperatures went down below zero (F) the first week of December. My plants were not fully dormant and I lost some roses and my Stella got split bark on her trunk.

In spite of the damage, Stella still put on a heavy crop. The wound seems to be healing, so I hope my Stella is going to recover.

I got fruit this spring when many nights were down in the high twenties (F), so Stella is c... read more

On Mar 9, 2009, telosphilos from Little Elm, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

Found one at the local Home Depot. It is planted in a very large pot and appears to be quite healthy. The bark is a rich reddish brown color. Bloom time appears to be later in the year. Currently it is early March and from the looks of the buds they won't be blooming until at least April.

The Stella cultivar is one of the very few self pollinating varieties. It does better with other cherries around, but it doesn't need them. It is also one of the more heat tolerant cherries. While not the most heat tolerant, it can and does survive in Texas so long as it is not left to dry out. Painting the trunk with white agricultural latex paint during the hottest months does help during the really hot days of summer.

ETA: Summer heat has been hitting over 100 ... read more

On May 28, 2008, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

In my garden, blooms in April, harvest in June. Not as sweet as some other cherries.

On Jan 2, 2006, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A self -pollinating dark red cherry available as a semi dwarf (15-18 feet) from Stark brothers.