PlantFiles: Sweet Cherry
Prunus avium 'Stella'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: avium (AY-vee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Stella

Thumbnail #5 of Prunus avium by Gabrielle

Thumbnail #6 of Prunus avium by Gabrielle

By drobarr
Thumbnail #7 of Prunus avium by drobarr

Neutral AlexanderSam On Jan 12, 2011, AlexanderSam from Jackson, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Does anyone know if this is the same as the compact stella cherry from the Territorial Seed catalogue?
I noticed that Farmerdill said this was a semi-dwarf variety reaching 15-18 ft. Is the Territorial one a fully dwarf variety? The catalogue and website both say 8-10 ft.
I'll link the online page for it in case you want to look.

Positive oregonwoodsmoke On Aug 9, 2010, oregonwoodsmoke from Terrebonne, OR wrote:

Stella is a very heavy cropper. The cherries have good cherry flavor.

Because of the birds, I have to pick most fruit before it is fully ripe and it still tastes good. Fruit that has a chance to get fully ripe is excellent.

Stella is planted in an extra cold spot in my very cold (dry) zone 5. Stella has been fine with the weather until last year when temperatures went down below zero (F) the first week of December. My plants were not fully dormant and I lost some roses and my Stella got split bark on her trunk.

In spite of the damage, Stella still put on a heavy crop. The wound seems to be healing, so I hope my Stella is going to recover.

I got fruit this spring when many nights were down in the high twenties (F), so Stella is cold hardy when she is prepared. But my other 4 varieties of cherry did not split, so I have to say that some other varieties are more cold hardy.

Still, if you have the right zone for Stella, she is an excellent cherry.

Neutral telosphilos On Mar 9, 2009, telosphilos from Little Elm, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

Found one at the local Home Depot. It is planted in a very large pot and appears to be quite healthy. The bark is a rich reddish brown color. Bloom time appears to be later in the year. Currently it is early March and from the looks of the buds they won't be blooming until at least April.

The Stella cultivar is one of the very few self pollinating varieties. It does better with other cherries around, but it doesn't need them. It is also one of the more heat tolerant cherries. While not the most heat tolerant, it can and does survive in Texas so long as it is not left to dry out. Painting the trunk with white agricultural latex paint during the hottest months does help during the really hot days of summer.

ETA: Summer heat has been hitting over 100 degrees F already and the leaves wilt a bit from that. No cherries yet, but we did have some nice blossoms. I suspect I will have to pull this one inside the house before the really high heat comes in August. By contrast, my Tulare cherry on a Zee Stem with a Nemaguard rootstock is doing just beautifully.

Neutral Gabrielle On May 28, 2008, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

In my garden, blooms in April, harvest in June. Not as sweet as some other cherries.

Neutral Farmerdill On Jan 2, 2006, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A self -pollinating dark red cherry available as a semi dwarf (15-18 feet) from Stark brothers.

Chowchilla, California