Arrow Bamboo

Pseudosasa japonica

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pseudosasa (soo-do-sa-sa) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Synonym:Arundinaria japonica

Hulbert, Oklahoma

Greencastle, Pennsylvania

Newport News, Virginia

On Apr 20, 2012, Hikaro_Takayama from Fayetteville, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I've had this plant in the ground for about 4 years here in zone 6b, and it has survived and even spread out a bit, but during the winter it usually loses a fair bit of top growth due to a combination of cold temperatures and ravenous rabbits. I have, however, seen HUGE, healthy stands of this plant at the Pittsburgh zoo, so I'm not sure if they started with bigger/better specimens than I did (I dug mine up from a place in Annapolis, MD), or they have a favorable enough microclimate to compensate for the usual severely cold winters in Pittsburgh, or a combination of the two.

On Aug 29, 2010, baiissatva from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

Zone 9 coastal otago nz

This is an incredibly elegant bamboo with long, emerald green pendant leaves and slim culms, ultimate height seeming to depend very much on location. It tolerates high winds, almost complete shade (fabulous under large trees) and in my conditions (heavy clay, relatively mild winters, medium rainfall, no ground freezes) it is spreading only slowly. Rhizomes are heading outward at about a hand's distance per yea; it's by no means going crazy. I have it contained in a raised, dedicated bed.

However, it has a reputation as a 'runner' under the right conditions so bear that in mind. Plant it, watch it like a hawk and see if it's inclined to put out tentacles. A lot of bamboo species with bad reputations might behave well according to yo... read more