PlantFiles: English Oak, Truffle Oak, Pedunculate Oak
Quercus robur 'Fastigiata'

Family: Fagaceae (fag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Quercus (KWER-kus) (Info)
Species: robur (ROH-bur) (Info)
Cultivar: Fastigiata
Additional cultivar information: (aka Skyrocket)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

By Equilibrium
Thumbnail #1 of Quercus robur by Equilibrium

By mtilton
Thumbnail #2 of Quercus robur by mtilton

Positive dbare On Oct 9, 2005, dbare from Maysville, KY wrote:

If you are looking for a rounded tree that does not damage easily by wind this one does extremely well. It has a rounded shape but not as broad as the sugar maple. I planted two about fifteen years ago and so far they hold their form well. I keep the bottom limbs trimmed so I can mow the yard around them. They seemed to grow slow at first. Maybe the first five years but northern ky was experienceing drought conditions. Now that it is raining again they are growing in leaps and bounds. My only disappointment is leaf color in fall. It is a yellow and viberant but as soon as a frost comes the leaves turn brown and fall off quickly. These trees have been very little trouble. They have not lost limbs in windstorms and a lot of the trees in my yard do. They will reseed themselves if they acorn makes it to maturity. The acorn is really interesting. It has a long point on it and tight little caps. They are really pretty. The acorns that have sprouted rolled down hill into a flower bed that I have heavy mulch on and they went right on and sprouted. I would not say that they are invasive sprouters. Out of fifteen years I think I have had three or four little trees come up.

Maysville, Kentucky