Creeping Bramble, Creeping Raspberry, Creeping Rubus, Crinkle-leaf Creeper
Rubus pentalobus

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rubus (ROO-bus) (Info)
Species: pentalobus (pen-tuh-LOH-bus) (Info)
Synonym:Rubus calycinoides

Bellevue, Washington

Fircrest, Washington

negative

On Sep 23, 2012, TODDRCASPELL from Fircrest, WA wrote:

A much better name for this plant is creeping SALMONBERRY the berries look alike but taste better.
I don't care if it takes over the yard sounds like it leaves the larger plants alone.

On Dec 1, 2011, Biker1 from McLean, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I just spent 3 hours removing Rubus pentalobus from my rock garden. It was simply devouring all the other plants. The roots are very tough and deep. It may take a long time to fully eradicate this plant. I recommend using creeping raspberry ONLY where it is contained and other plants do not have to compete with it.

On Jun 23, 2011, Amoena from Nashville, TN wrote:

I have a steep bank of clay subsoil behind my house, where all of the topsoil was excavated. Nothing would grow there- not even weeds!- and the erosion was pretty bad. But thanks to this tough, vigorous plant, the bank is stabilized. Best of all, this groundcover is evergreen, and rewards me with tiny orange raspberries in the summer. Although it's a bit too agressive for planting in the garden, it's a great choice for those difficult spots with poor soil.

On Jun 1, 2010, cedar18 from Lula, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a very nice groundcover. The leaves turn an attractive burgundy in the fall. It is very tolerant of shade but grows much stronger in sunnier sites.

On May 29, 2008, slugnsnails from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Planted this 3 yrs ago under huge sycamore tree. It has filled in and extended 5-6 feet from base. Never water tho it is dry shade. Edgers hold it back from paths. Seldom weed it. Takes abuse - rake leaves off it in the Fall. Grows right up to the tree trunk but doesn't climb it. It is creeping in all directions - which I wanted - and coexists with shrubs - just meanders around them. They don't seem to mind. I think I read it fixes nitrogen, but could be mistaken. I really like it and am breaking off pieces and planting them in an area close to the street that has always been a problem because of baking, reflected heat from pavement, etc. Needs weeding until it 'thickens' up, that's the only 'bad' thing I can think of to say about it.

On May 22, 2007, soulgardenlove from Marietta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I just received this plant at a trade and wanted to learn more about it. I'm surprised there are not more comments and pictures considering how recognized it is as a great ground cover.

Rubus pentalobus or Syn. R. calycinoides is one of few plants to have won the distinctions of Gold Medal winner for 2005 from the University of GA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. It is a ground cover for full to partial shade. According to the UGA web site description:

"Most landscapes have difficult sites, such as hot, dry, erodible slopes or ditches where soil moisture fluctuates from very wet to very dry. Not many plants tolerate these conditions, but Creeping Raspberry, Rubus pentalobus, is one that will. In fact, it not only survives, it thrives u... read more