Cut-Leaf Coneflower
Rudbeckia laciniata 'Hortensia'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rudbeckia (rud-BEK-ee-a) (Info)
Species: laciniata (la-sin-ee-AY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Hortensia
Additional cultivar information:(aka Golden Glow)

Bronze-Green

Pale Yellow

Pale Green

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Cartersville, Georgia

Lewis Center, Ohio

Utica, Ohio

Salem, Oregon

Athens, Pennsylvania

Tionesta, Pennsylvania (2 reports)

Porterfield, Wisconsin

Reedsburg, Wisconsin

Cody, Wyoming

On Jun 29, 2015, mkcarter66 from Redford, MI wrote:

Got this plant a year after I got Rudbeckia Herbstonne. I am sorry I ever got it because it is very invasive. It moves by runners underground and can be very hard to get out of a bed once it's in it. I have been fighting mine off for 3 years now. The Herbstonne is a much better plant to get than this one. If you do get it, plant it in the ground in a pot in order to keep it confined to one area or plant in a bed where you don't mind it taking over the whole area.

On Aug 25, 2013, karocu from Moncton, NB

I've had golden glow growing for a few years now and look forward to its brightness mid summer, but this year there is some sort of pest eating the upper leaves of the plant - leaving a sort of skeletal remain of the leaf. It's not like the slugs that eat huge chunks as the plants are beginning in the spring. I can't seem to find the culprit! Thanks :-)

On Jun 27, 2013, izabelleangel from Smyrna, TN wrote:

Need help!! I have a plant that I have growing in a pot. It is being watered regularly but I have begun to notice that it looks as if the leaves are dying. Some of them towards the bottom of the plant are turning greyish. Is this normal? The rest of the plant looks great. It's budding and growing. Need advice please. Don't want to lose this plant. Thanks.

On Aug 28, 2011, hillfarm from Quesnel, BC (Zone 4a) wrote:

In this area we call this one 'Golden Glow', and an appropriate name it is, too. I am very fond of this plant & have grown it for years, since first receiving it as a "pass-along plant" from an old ranch garden. It is in full bloom right now (late August) and will continue for weeks to come. Flowers are a vibrant golden-yellow, with opening petals tinted green, and as others have mentioned it is an excellent cutflower. My planting is now partly shaded, but it definitely prefers full sun. It is a rather lanky thing, and benefits greatly from staking. Best siting would likely be back of border and against a fence where it could be inconspicuously tied for support. Easily reaches 6 feet tall. It is vigorous and does spread from the roots, but I would not call it invasive; I find it very easy ... read more

On Mar 10, 2011, MmeW wrote:

It's true that this Rudbeckia can be very easy to grow, low-maintenance and beautiful, but I find it extremely invasive in my garden. Within a few years after I took over the garden (the previous owner planted them), these plants have spread everywhere through underground runners and obscured the other perennials around them. I had to spend hours to dig them out. If anyone wants them, I have plenty more to give away!

On Jul 27, 2010, kobwebz from columbia, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Very sturdy, beautiful big flowers, love this plant.

On Mar 22, 2010, StuTol from Moscow, ID wrote:

My mother has had Golden glow all of my life, and I believe that she got it from my grandmothers. She lives in Massachusetts, and I have brought some to Moscow, Idaho, where it is doing well. I recently moved and have brought a cutting to my new house, and left some at the old house. Very hardy, vigouous plant with beautiful flowers.

On May 24, 2009, magicfrizbees from Lewis Center, OH wrote:

Grown by the grandparents (they called them Golden Glows). Mildew can be a problem, and they can get leggy and need support. But a consistent bloomer over the years.

On Jun 11, 2008, scarletblooms from Carbondale, KS wrote:

Many years ago I would see this plant growing along fences in Colby, KS and fell in love with the beautiful yellow blossoms. My aunt told me they were called "Golden Glow" and gave me starts from her yard. Golden Glow is a very old "heirloom" plant, that apparently grew out of favor for many years. I plant it wherever I happen to be living and have given starts to friends. When I lived in Northwest Kansas, I did have to tie the plants to the fence because it was always windy, but I live in Northeast Kansas now and have not had to do any tying. A nursery owner told me once that people only plant "Golden Glow" in their yards when they want to hide something. I told her I grow "Golden Glow" because I think it is beautiful and I love the flowers. The flowers last well as cut flowers, too!

On Apr 19, 2006, NellieLemon from Kirksville, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very tall, very pretty, very hardy, prolific without being aggressive. Very easy to transplant and seems to grow equally well in sun or part shade. Only problem I have, since I live in a very windy area, is that they sometimes need tying up.

On Feb 19, 2005, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

A very tall perennial (6-8 feet) for the back of a sunny border. It blooms throughout September in Newfoundland. Full sun and well-drained soil are ideal. It can be used as a good cut-flower.