PlantFiles: Scarborough Lily
Cyrtanthus elatus

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cyrtanthus (ker-TAN-thus) (Info)
Species: elatus (el-AH-tus) (Info)

Synonym:Vallota speciosa

Thumbnail #4 of Cyrtanthus elatus by Buttoneer

By Toxicodendron
Thumbnail #5 of Cyrtanthus elatus by Toxicodendron

Positive Clivaryllis On Nov 13, 2012, Clivaryllis from Vancouver Island

Five years ago I bought this plant from a sale at a private school where I used to work. It was a tiny bulblet. I thought it would be a Hippeastrum because true Amaryllis plants are uncommon. So when it bloomed, I was amazed because it seemed like a cross between a Clivia (flowers) and a Hippeastrum (bulb and leaves) which isn't possible because Clivia and Hippeastrum are too genetically diverse to create hybrids. Recently found out it is a Cyrtanthus. The flowers are beautiful!
Plant is easy to grow and will set black, winged seeds. Plant seeds right away or keep them in the fridge no longer than 6 months. Two of the seeds I planted have sprouted (out of 9) and hopefully they will grow into bulbs and flower within 3 years! The internet says to use a mix of compost and sand instead of the potting soil which I have used since I've had it, so it seems to need to dry out between waterings if you are using regular potting soil. Will post again if the seedlings survive to blooming age!

Positive Buttoneer On Mar 21, 2006, Buttoneer from Carlisle, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I got this plant from a co-op on Davesgarden and I am exhilirated with it, now that it has opened up it's bloom in my greenhouse in zone 6b. It will have 3 flowers. I have tried to pollenate it, in the hopes it will develop seeds, but time will tell. The bloom is large for the size of the bulb and quite beautiful. It crowded the pot for me in 1 year and bloomed. What more could you ask for?

Mission Viejo, California