Soap Berry, Chinese Soapberry, Soapnut Tree
Sapindus mukorossi

Family: Sapindaceae (sap-in-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sapindus (sap-IN-dus) (Info)
Species: mukorossi

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Cream/Tan

Grenoble,

Deland, Florida

Lakeland, Florida

Tulsa, Oklahoma

On Jun 19, 2014, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Seen it at a friend's house in Louisiana, very pretty tree with nuts on it. Received nuts from mail and used it in laundry. Great for hand wash because it doesn't dry your hand and can be reused.

Update: The first time I planted the seed nothing germinate in 5 months. I googled the seed sprouting instruction which said you need to hammer it and soak in warm water in a thermos for 24 hrs. I did one step more by grip it on a vice and drill a little hole about 2 mm into the seed and soak it in warm water that I changed 2X for 24 hrs and have it covered with a clear plastic container set in soil and pot. about a month later the first seed sprouted (not from the covered pot) and I lost hope on the rest. Surprisingly, 2 more sprouted after the initial germination in the covered ... read more

On Jul 5, 2008, cactus_lover from FSD
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

The Buddhists use the seeds to make rosaries,
Fruits are used as hair shampoo.