PlantFiles: American Persimmon, Common Persimmon, Eastern Persimmon, Date Plum
Diospyros virginiana 'Meader'

Family: Ebenaceae (eb-en-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Diospyros (dy-oh-SPY-ros) (Info)
Species: virginiana (vir-jin-ee-AN-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Meader

Edible Fruits and Nuts

By jtellerelsberg
Thumbnail #1 of Diospyros virginiana by jtellerelsberg

No positives

Neutral jtellerelsberg On Apr 19, 2012, jtellerelsberg from Norwich, VT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have a Meader persimmon that I planted, I think, 5 years ago. Last year was the first year I saw flowers, though only a few and no fruit resulted. The flowers are interesting and pretty in a very low-key way. It is always VERY late to leaf out, weeks after everything else. The first couple of springs after I'd planted it, I thought it had died in the winter because of that. It has been slow growing, and something killed the leader early in its life, so that side branches have had to make up for that loss. Several commentators at the Home Orchard Society forums report that all persimmon trees are known to be brittle, losing branches to mild gusts, and that Meader is the most brittle of all the cultivars. I have not had any breakage problems myself, but neither have I had branches weighed down with fruit.

Neutral tcfromky On Oct 26, 2004, tcfromky from Mercer, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

With some pruning, you could have a nice edible hedge. :) This persimmon is an early ripening variety. It is self-fertile and very cold-hardy. Great in zones 4-8.

Falmouth, Maine