PlantFiles: Crocosmia
Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crocosmia (kroh-KOZ-mee-uh) (Info)
Species: x crocosmiiflora (kroh-koz-mee-eye-FLOR-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Montbretia x crocosmiiflora

By hczone6
Thumbnail #6 of Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora by hczone6

By SILady
Thumbnail #7 of Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora by SILady

Negative savannahjudy On Nov 29, 2011, savannahjudy from Savannah, GA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I inherited many wonderful plants from the previous owner of my house - this was not one of them. I have been trying to get rid of them for the last six years. The blooms are insignificant and it is extremely invasive.

Neutral Andrearichter On Nov 29, 2011, Andrearichter from Cowes
United Kingdom wrote:

Crocosmia Monbretia is very invasive and if not split and thinned out will not flower well. Other cultivars like Lucifer and Emily Macenzie aren't invasive, but are difficult to establish. It seems like more luck than judgement with these plants.

Negative LeslieT On Nov 28, 2011, LeslieT from Bellaire, TX wrote:

The common cultivar was extremely invasive in my Houston-area garden. And, when crowded does not bloom well. The golden-yellow cultivar is not invasive and beautiful. I inadvertently gave this good one away.

Neutral hwylo On Nov 28, 2011, hwylo from Wilmington, NC wrote:

Grown it for years in coastal Carolina & it spreads like crazy. Looks good w/ the dark red leaves of Perilla. The last two years it has been hit hard by some form of rust which turns it brown and dessicated. Any ideas what sort of disease is causing this?

Negative belladoll On Nov 28, 2011, belladoll from San Clemente, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

These plants are beautiful but, THEY CAN BE VERY INVASIVE, they take over in the ground, suffocate things in pots. They are hard to get rid of. But they are easy to grow and multiply like crazy.
BE WARNED

Positive Karma_Spins On Nov 28, 2011, Karma_Spins from Elmira, NY wrote:

Have grown several colors for 4 years and they transplanted well from our old home to a new one. This garden overlooks a river view and it is often very foggy early mornings. I was concerned they wouldn't do well with the dampness here but they grew and flowered beautifully. I am a fiber artist and often extract dyes from my garden plants. I experimented using the dark orange flowers and was able to dye wool a beautiful golden yellow. Its been two years since I dyed the wool and even exposed to moderate light the color has yet to fade.

Positive madaboutplants On Nov 28, 2011, madaboutplants from edinburgh
United Kingdom wrote:

I have several crocosmias and noticed that a member was asking for suggestions of companions to plant with it to tone down the brightness. The dark leaved heucheras look very good and provide some support for it.

Positive Beckah On Oct 12, 2011, Beckah from Memphis, TN wrote:

All of the positives I've read here about this plant are correct. ..Personally, I haven't had a problem with it being invasive, though I see that some have. ..What I'm shocked about is that I have yet to see anyone write about the Wonderful fragrance that this flower has. ..It looks tropical but isnt and smells like a cross between a gardenia and something citrusy ..It - Is - Wonderful. ..Heavenly. ..I have Lucifer ..and it perfumes my back garden.

Positive bonehead On Jan 21, 2011, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Brilliant flowers for the late summer garden. Try to plant something supportive in front of it as it does get top heavy and flop. The fall foliage is pleasant enough for me to leave standing. It is a spreader, so keep that in mind.

Negative sunnydaze45 On Dec 20, 2010, sunnydaze45 from Mesa, AZ wrote:

I planted some bulbs last winter here in central Arizona. The leaves spouted, eventually turned brown and died without producing any flowers. I kept my soil moist, but it didn't get much sun planted on the north side of the house. It looks like a very pretty plant and, after reading other comments, I may try it again somewhere else in my garden.

Positive Lov_Gardening On Jul 7, 2009, Lov_Gardening from West, MS (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have been growing the orange variety of this plant for five years in central Mississippi (Zone 7a). I have divided it twice. It does well in full sun in a raised bed with good drainage. I have some orange lilies blooming at the same time and the two are overpowering in color in my perennial bed. Can someone recommend companion plants that might go well and soften the color of the bed?

Positive anelson77 On Jun 2, 2009, anelson77 from Seattle, WA wrote:

This will naturalize in Seattle, and hold its own even if planted in fairly weedy areas, but its not really that invasive here.
I inherited a few large clumps. The ones in part shade were flopping and leaning and so I removed them. It took about 4 years of going back to the site and removing bulblets before they were gone. The ones in full sun are large striking clumps of very tall vertical spiky foliage from May to October, with bright red flowers much visited by hummingbirds in July and August.
They start to flop in mid fall, then I cut them to the ground.

Positive penpen On Mar 22, 2008, penpen from North Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have 'Lucifer' and it is a Beautiful plant and it also winters well in my area in western NY (zone 6). Not invasive here either. The hummers use it the whole time it is in bloom

Positive bruvy On Oct 15, 2007, bruvy from Woodstock, ON, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted one (lucifer) in my zone 5b Ontario garden about eight years ago. It has spread nicely but I wouldn't consider it invasive. Dug up some to both give away and plant in another area of my garden this year for the first time. Had been advised to dig it up in the fall but it seems to winter well and thrive.

Positive trois On Jul 21, 2007, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

In spite of the "do not over water", mine are growing in standing water. They do flop down easily, but the flowers are worth having.

Positive celtic_dolphin On Jan 7, 2007, celtic_dolphin from Boone, NC (Zone 4b) wrote:

I planted my bulbs three years before they bloomed - I realized when I purchased them that my area may be too cold, but after a very mild Winter they bloomed in 2006 - and what a show they put on! Absolutely gorgeous red blooms - and the hummingbirds swarmed them like bees! I was picking off spent blooms to press and a hummingbird tried to feed on the ones in my hand! If you plan to grow in an area cooler than zone 6, you'll need to lift and store them each fall.

Positive Mr_Crocosmia On Sep 7, 2006, Mr_Crocosmia from Caistor
United Kingdom (Zone 8b) wrote:

Montbretia Crocosmiaeflora is known to all today and its reputation no longer has to be made. It is sold in thousands more or less everywhere, and it will be grown for many years because it is a plant which allies the advantage of magnificent flowering to that of being extremely easy to cultivate and of accommodating itself to the most basic care. All these qualities which have made M. Crocosmiaeflora fashionable are possessed by the following new introductions, in fact they possess still more, an elegant habit, a variety of Hues, the size of their flowers, characteristics which allow them to keep their place with dignity alongside the varieties from which they are descended. Tritonia Aurea X Montbretia Pottsii,1879; Victor Lemoine Catalogue, No. 104., 1886.

Negative aking1a On Aug 17, 2005, aking1a from Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

The flowers are really nice and will last a long time in a vase. The foliage tends to flop down and you had really better give this plant a place to live where you do not care if it spreads. It is almost impossible to remove once it gets started. Corms form along long stringy rhizomes and easily break off. Next year, when you thought they were gone, here they come again!

Positive CaptMicha On Aug 12, 2005, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Very pretty, very tropical looking. I haven't noticed a long blooming period even though mine are in part sun.

The foliage look exactly like yellow iris's so be careful when planting together.

Neutral mainegrdner On May 12, 2005, mainegrdner from Mariaville, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

wonderful plant.... though it is not supposed to be hardy here, I have seen it thrive for many years, not invasive, doesn't even spread really. to DEJAVU: don't be afraid of this one, will do fine in your area, you will have no problems with invasiveness.

Positive ponygal On Sep 23, 2004, ponygal from Scotts Valley, CA wrote:

I love monbretia, but the gophers also love it and I keep losing all of them each year- It does do well in pots though!!

Positive pacificdawn On Aug 27, 2004, pacificdawn from Haughton, LA wrote:

Lovely flowers, however, it appears that the planting depth is very important. My mother had planted some, which have multiplied greatly, but the foliage drooped over. She had it planted around 2 -2 1/2 inches deep. I read that it should be planted 5-6 inches deep. The ones she has have the orange-red colored flowers.

Anyway, I will be replanting it a little deeper to see if it helps to make it stand up right. I live in Northeast Louisiana.

Positive Lauribob On Jul 25, 2003, Lauribob from Twisp, WA wrote:

I babied these along, thinking they were marginally hardy to my zone 4-5 garden. I give them away every fall now when I must divide them to keep them in check. Their scarlet flowers are like a fire in the perennial bed and the hummingbirds love them. Long flowering and nice cut flowers, although they fade fast in a vase. (any tips on that?)

Positive Lenjo On Jul 18, 2003, Lenjo from Mount Angel, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have grown this plant now for about 3 years, I really enjoy it because of the bright red color. The spearlike foliage adds a wonderful contrast to the more traditional leaf shapes. It is tall here, 4 feet but self supporting; no need to be staked.It is one of my favorite garden specimens.

Positive EeyoreAM On Jul 17, 2003, EeyoreAM from Cedar, MI wrote:

We saw some outstanding examples of Montbretia in a garden in the Leelanau Peninsula of northwest lower Michigan. The foliage was at least 48" high, and the flowers were just beginning to open in mid-July. It was growing on a west-facing slope, and was quite spectacular. We're interested in knowing where we might be able to purchase corms.

Positive Cytania On Jul 13, 2003, Cytania wrote:

Time to subdivide this entry into cultivars there are dozens of named crocosmias. Most of the pictures are of 'Lucifer' and some may be masonorium or crocosmiflora. The latter two are the ones with the weedy reputation. The colour range for this species is from Yellow ('Solfaterre', 'Citronella', 'Norwich Canary') to dark red ('Carmin Brilliant') or even golden/brown red ('Dusky Maiden'). Some of the varieties have pleated leaves whilst a few are a bronze green. Search on 'The African Garden Plymouth' for a full cultivar list.

Positive DottieJean On Jul 10, 2003, DottieJean from Sammamish, WA wrote:

This is my favorite plant. The dramatic red blossoms of "Lucifer" attract lots of hummingbirds to our yard. The plant loves the dry, hot summers in the Seattle area and spreads rapidly. The yellow variety spreads even faster.
DottieJean

Positive plantzperson On Jul 3, 2003, plantzperson from Zachary, LA wrote:

Goes like wildfire in humid South. Will become so thick it needs thinning out/dividing every couple of years. Blooms over long period of time & hummers love it! Grows well in shade but blooms much better in sunny sites. It is a pass-a-long plant in the South & one that I like very much.

Neutral dejavu On Jul 2, 2003, dejavu from Rochester, NY wrote:

I am about to plant this, but found a site that describes it as a noxious weed.... makes me nervous!

Positive Heavenlygarden On Jan 26, 2003, Heavenlygarden from Thousand Oaks, CA wrote:

In fall when foliage begins to brown, cut down to ground. In spring (or a few months later in southern CA) they will expand their radius with new shoots in old area and approximately one foot around old area-- with new shoots. Divide in fall.

In Los Angeles these (orange variety) bloom for MONTHS, starting in spring and well into fall.

I love this plant...

Positive lupinelover On Jul 20, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

In heavy clay soil they increase but not invasively. The older the bulb, the more flower stalks grow.

Neutral SMSpear1 On Jan 4, 2001, SMSpear1 from Saint Louis, MO (Zone 5b) wrote:

In warm and damp climates, it can be invasive. It has vertical iris-like foilage with many arching stems bearing scarlet red flowers, which are funnel-shaped. It blooms for a long period of time in the late summer and fall. They make excellent cut flowers.

Anniston, Alabama
Grand Junction, Colorado
Deltona, Florida
Fountain, Florida
Ocoee, Florida
Pensacola, Florida (2 reports)
Saint Petersburg, Florida