Sweet Pepper
Capsicum annuum 'Jimmy Nardello'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: annuum (AN-yoo-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Jimmy Nardello
Additional cultivar information:(aka Jimmy Nardello's Sweet Italian Frying Pepper)
» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):

Sweet (0 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:

Tapered

Oblong

Fruit Size:

Large (more than 6" in length)

Fruit Color:

Charlotte, North Carolina

Albany, Ohio

Toledo, Ohio

Boise City, Oklahoma

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

Essington, Pennsylvania

Manchaca, Texas

Logan, Utah

Virginia Beach, Virginia

On Oct 12, 2014, elsutor from Penn Hills, PA wrote:

An excellent pepper! This year was my first year with this pepper, and it was the first pepper to produce in my z6, Pittsburgh, PA garden. I will never forget the joy of cutting it and tossing it in the skillet with some eggs that morning-- the flavor was perfect and I will never be without at least one of these plants. Very productive early in the summer. Extremely flavorful even when green. I grew Friarello di Napoli as well, which is very close in type, and I preferred the Jimmys.

Good sized plants that did not need staking. In my garden, these plants functioned more as a harvest-as-it-grows type, rather than one with a long ripening season and large end-of-season harvest, which is a plus. I'm sure I could have waited until late summer to harvest a larger amount of... read more

On Jul 8, 2013, donnamh from Chicago, IL wrote:

I live in Chicago, Illinois and have 3 Jimmy Nardello pepper plants putting out peppers and one barely flowering. All still green but large on the productive plants. I guess I need to pick some and stop waiting for redness since that apparently won't come until fall.

On Mar 18, 2013, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I prefer the thin-walled frying peppers, like Jimmy Nardello, to all other peppers. The flavor is exceptional. They're sweet and delicious when fried or grilled. I've even served them stuffed... so good!

On Jan 19, 2013, lokidog from Logan, UT wrote:

I hesitate to give this one a negative, but I really don't like this pepper. It's too thin-walled for me. But I really don't even know what a 'Frying Pepper' is. I want much more bulk. There is not enough flesh to roast these either. They were not particularly sweet - they are definitely not the sweetest pepper when compared to a well ripened pimento type. They do grow well here and I know lots of people who like them. They are very productive and early as well.

On Aug 5, 2012, IndianaBodeen from Wheatfield, IN wrote:

My favorite frying pepper to grow. I combine this with jalapeno peppers for my quesadillas. They are sweet when eaten fresh, but I end up chasing the skin around in my mouth. That isn't an issue when lightly sauteed. And cooking brings out the sweet flavor even more.

Only have 6 plants in the garden this year, and if they don't give me enough for the freezer, I will grow 12 next year. Yeah, its that good.

On Sep 17, 2007, David_Paul from Clinton, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I'll never not grow this pepper. It looks pretty and the taste is wonderful --mild and fresh when green, very sweet when red. It is the classic Italian frying pepper. Thin skin so it fries up fast. Had 16 plants in two earthboxes and 12 in the dirt this year. Earthbox plants were slightly more productive but needed support while the plants in the ground need minimal or no staking (see photo above). Had problems with mildew on nearby squash and zinnias as well as unidentified disease on tomato plants. Not a touch of mildew or any other disease on the Jimmy Nardello peppers.

As a bonus, it is OP and you can save the seeds.

On Aug 26, 2007, scottfsmith from Baltimore, MD wrote:

This is my favorite non-hot pepper and the only one I grow now. The plant is disease-resistant, healthy, and productive. I have grown lots of other varieties which were very generous on making big plants but meager in their pepper production; this plant is the opposite. The peppers are very tasty and can be used for frying, grilling, drying, general cooking, salads, etc. They are better cooked than fresh but are still good both ways.

On Mar 2, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Also sold as 'Jimmy Nardello's Sweet Italian Frying Pepper'. Jimmy Nardello, who lived in Maugatuck Connecticut until his death in 1983. His family had been growing these peppers in that region since Jimmy's mother brought the seeds with her from Italy to the U.S. in 1887.

On Mar 31, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Great sweet flavor. Easy to grow. Best used for frying and fresh eating. This variety is way too narrow to be effectively used as a stuffing pepper.

On Oct 26, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

An 80 day 8 X 1 inch green to red sweet pepper. Looks like a thick Cayenne but touted as the sweetest non-bell on the market.