Lettuce, Loose Leaf Lettuce 'Grand Rapids'

Lactuca sativa

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lactuca (lak-TOO-kuh) (Info)
Species: sativa (sa-TEE-vuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Grand Rapids

Jonesville, South Carolina

Dayton, Washington

Wausau, Wisconsin

On Jul 22, 2015, SabraKhan from Tiverton, RI (Zone 6b) wrote:

I found Grand Rapids Lettuce seed at the local dollar store for only ten cents. I usually grow Black Seeded Simpson, and Romaine but for the price I thought I'd try it. Grand Rapids germinates very quickly is quite lush and sweeter and slower to bolt than BSS lettuce. It is also a nicer shade of green and crisper than BBS lettuce. As a lark I scattered some seeds in a hanging basket and soon I had a wonderful "salad bowl" full of crisp green lettuce.This is my favorite lettuce now. Lush, green, crisp and sweet lettuce quick to grow and slow to bolt. Highly recomended.

On Jan 6, 2013, Jimtina from Rib Mountain, WI wrote:

Sweet and flavorful for a leaf lettuce, heat and humidity resistant. The seed is getting more and more difficult to find but fortunately it is a great variety for seed savers.

On Feb 6, 2010, neworleansdude from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Last year and this year I planted in late December. The ones from this year are still very small, but last year they took almost two months to do anything then all of the sudden- bam! March and April cut individual leaves along with some bibb type let. and swiss chard. Great salads. By the first of May they were very much bolting and more dandelion like. But they had very pretty flowers and the whole plant grew to about three feet tall. I never got a good tight head off of the dozen or so that grew well, but when thining some that were still under 6" had a sorta cluster.

This is definitely a winter/spring plant if you live along the gulf coast. I'm at a new place now, but the old soil was slightly alkaline and the plants did get 8 hours (daylight) by March when they t... read more

On Aug 19, 2008, gil_eanes from Greensboro, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Bought seeds at Lowes. They grew extremely well, but I planted late so they bolted in the 85+ degree days. If planted at a better time they would have provided a lot of lettuce.

On Feb 11, 2008, MistyPetals from North Augusta, SC wrote:

I found the seeds for this at Walmart for a dime. If all goes well, that will really make my day! :)
As soon as I came home with my packaged bounty, where did I go? DG!!! Yeah!

On Jul 22, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 60 day, light green, frilled cultivar.

On Dec 22, 2004, Lettuceman from Dayton, WA wrote:

If you like your leaf lettuce to be hefty, large, and thick leaved, this is the one to grow. Easy to grow and holds in the garden without bolting longer than most.

On Oct 28, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Leaf lettuce variety - Leaf Lettuce varieties are the easiest and most reliable to grow. Sow seeds in early spring and again after the very hot days of summer are over. In cooler climates, you can make 2 to 3 spring plantings, timed 2 weeks apart.

To harvest, pull the whole plant or just snap off the outer leaves.