Ipomoea Species, Lady Doorly's Morning Glory, Cardinal Creeper

Ipomoea horsfalliae

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: horsfalliae

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Fuchsia (Red-Purple)

Late Fall/Early Winter

Mid Winter

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Scarify seed before sowing

By air layering

Scio, Oregon

Spring, Texas

On Sep 2, 2017, Kid_possum from Brisbane,
Australia wrote:

I live in Brisbane, Australia and have owned one of these plants for 5 or 6 years. It's planted in my garden and grows up our telephone pole - right to the top and often twists along the lines themselves. It gets very little attention. I watered it regularly when it was first getting established, now it's only every couple of months when I remember. Contrary to what I've read about this plant, mine grows very vigorously. It's in a semi sunny position and I cut it back hard at this time of the year. (Maybe by two thirds) I have tried to propergate it, with limited success. Hardwood cuttings seems to work the best.

On Aug 28, 2017, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A very beautiful climber.

It has a reputation for being hard to propagate. Plants in cultivation rarely produce seed. Cuttings are said to root with difficulty. It's said that the easiest method is layering.

It's cultivated in tropical and subtropical regions worldwide. It was described from cultivated specimens, after it was distributed widely, and its origin isn't known with certainty, though it's generally thought to be in the West Indies.

On Aug 25, 2012, rebbie7 from Tweed Heads Sth NSW Australia,
Australia wrote:

I hope someone can tell me if my creeper is dead we had beautiful blooms all last year now the flowers are all gone and the leaves have fallen off so we are left with just sticks what should we do is this normal i cant remember it being like this last winter any info would help thanks

On Dec 23, 2007, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not grown Ipomoea horsfalliae which is grows natively in Puerto Rico, Guyana, Suriname, Venezuela and Brazil. It is naturalized in Jamaica and Japan. I have observed it growing in Maui, Hawaii as a cultivated plant. Ipomoea horsfalliae is also known as Prince Kuhio vine and prince's vine being named after Hawaii's Prince Kuhio who grew it on his property in Waikiki. Why a positive rating? Because it is one of the most beautiful vines I have ever seen both foliage-wise and bloom-wise. The 5 to 6 inch long, dark green, glossy, wavy-margined leaves are rounded in outline; however, they are palmate with 5 to 7 lobes. The bloom buds resemble berries and are very attractive. The blooms are 2 to 3 inches in diameter. The bloom color is almost indescribable ... a shockingly bright fu... read more

On Oct 30, 2004, klaude from Cairns,
Australia (Zone 11) wrote:

Beautiful Tropical Creeper, flowers prolifically May and October (Cairns Australia) responds well to hard pruning.