PlantFiles: Clematis
Clematis 'Will Goodwin'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Will Goodwin

No fragrance

Bloom Shape:
Semi-Double

Bloom Diameter:
Large - 5 to 8 inches (12 to 20 cm)

Pruning Groups:

Thumbnail #6 of Clematis  by victorgardener

By victorgardener
Thumbnail #7 of Clematis  by victorgardener

Positive kfrancher On Jul 15, 2010, kfrancher from Cody, WY wrote:

This clematis took about three years to get established but it is well worth the wait. It is making its living in a 3b - 4a climate and is doing well. The color, contrary to other reports, is a beautiful blue. I'd say it's about the color of a faded pair of blue jeans. We have naturally alkaline soil here with a deficiency (absence?) of iron and magnesium. Maybe that contributes to the color?

Positive hollyhouse On Jul 27, 2009, hollyhouse from Stone Lake, WI wrote:

My Will Goodwin is blue, but maybe that is because it does not get full sun. Aside from the color, I love the huge blooms. It's a stunner that always makes me smile.

Neutral Gardenunicorn On May 5, 2007, Gardenunicorn from Springfield, VA wrote:

This clematis grows well, but disappointed that it was not anything close to the blue that was advertised. Like the photos here, mine is purple. The seed heads are fabulous year-round and almost worth the incorrect color description. That said - don't buy this varirty if you want a true blue clematis.

Neutral Gabrielle On Jun 6, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very pretty flowers, but I was disappointed that it was not the true blue shown and described in catalogs. Maybe in other gardens with other soil conditions it would be blue. I love Clematis though, so it is still a keeper. This is actually one of my favorites. Blooms June-August in my garden.

Positive wallaby1 On Dec 28, 2005, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I live 4 miles from the nursery, Pennels, which produced this clematis. I did, however, buy this as a young plant from a local supermarket, who sell plants from a major supplier. I have noticed this plant has a reddish/purple flush radiating from the centre along the midribs, and am not sure if this is because of the soil it is growing in, or is a trait carried through from the original source.

Neutral Gindee77 On May 15, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I like this clematis, it's color is so pretty. I'm waiting for mine to be blue tho, not purple!

Positive Gourd On Apr 27, 2005, Gourd from Mesilla Park, NM wrote:

This plant is only 1 year old and has surpassed any of my expectations, it only had two blooms so far. The flower lasts a little over one week, which surprised me and it's petals are quite firm to the touch.

Neutral mystic On Jan 3, 2005, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Awarded RHS Award of Garden Merit.

Positive lmelling On Oct 31, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I added this clematis hybrid around 1998. It took off within a year and has been a reliable bloomer and very hardy. I have the roots shaded by a spirea bush. Generally blooms in late June, most years it will rebloom in August. We have acid soil and I find that the blooms tend to be more purple than the "powder blue" noted on the card that came with it. It recommends a soil PH of 6.0 - 6.5. I like the color and the vine is doing well, so why fix something that's not broken?

The picture I uploaded was taken when the vine was about 3 years old - it's more than doubled it's size now.

Pasadena, California