Snowflake Aralia, Snowflake Plant 'Micholitzii'

Trevesia palmata

Family: Araliaceae
Genus: Trevesia (tre-VES-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: palmata (pahl-MAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Micholitzii

Partial to Full Shade

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Pale Yellow

Loxahatchee, Florida

Hana, Hawaii

Knoxville, Tennessee

On Oct 16, 2013, SirThaddeus from Knoxville, TN wrote:

I believe I have the sanderii. I've owned all 3 specimens in the past 30 years.
My current plant is ~ 30 years old. It is in a 18" (inside dia.) pot.
It can dry out "dry as a bone". Starts drooping slightly. I frequently will pick up this dry pot so I can turn it in another direction before watering. It's always been in a North picture window in CT. or a smaller window in Knoxville. The plant CAN take cold. It would sit in the CT window at ~ 45-55 degree temps. Oil heat is expensive in CT.
I have propagated it numerous times from air-layering (at times 2 at the same time from the same plant).
I have cut it down to ground zero numerous times when it gets too tall (~12' in my CT home).
Most people coming into my home assume it is a phoney plant s... read more

On Jun 23, 2010, Galileo from Simi Valley, CA wrote:

I have mine indoors. It gets about 2 hours of direct sunlight in the morning and another 45 min of semi-direct in the evening. Seems to be loving that spot, since I brought it home it's produced 3 new growths and continues with fast growth. I have it in a large container and keep moist continuously, well drained. Some occasional misting seems to keep it happy.

On Jan 7, 2008, einaudi from Hana, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I am wild about the leaves, but negative about it's growth rate! I planted my Trevesia two years ago when it's trunk was 6" high. It is now 8" high! Can't blame the climate, because Hana's climate is not dramatically different from Trevesia's native habitat in Sumatra and Borneo.

On Jun 25, 2006, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

A more ornate Fatsia japonica in a certain way. Branches very little with exotically cut leaves. Surprisingly cold hardy,mine has taken below freezing with little to no damage.Slow growing at first, then picks up speed. From the mountains of Vietnam i read someplace. Choice exotic.