Early, Large-flowered Clematis
Clematis 'Crystal Fountain'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Crystal Fountain
Additional cultivar information:(PP18223, aka Evipo038, Fairy Blue)
Hybridized by Hayakawa

No fragrance

Bloom Shape:

Double

Bloom Diameter:

Medium - 2 to 5 inches (5 to 12 cm)

Pruning Groups:

Roosevelt, Utah

Minocqua, Wisconsin

Ripon, Wisconsin

On May 28, 2012, beebonnet from Coos Bay, OR (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love my Crystal Fountain Clematis. It never fails to bloom prolifically. I planted it very deep. So deep in fact that I didn't see it again until the following spring. Thought I lost it. But, no...up it came with a vengence and has been going ever since.

On May 24, 2011, canadianplant from thunder bay
Canada (Zone 4b) wrote:

I bought this plant from Superstore ( Loblaws). I planted it down 3 nodes deep ( as is recommended for clematis apperantly), and gave it lots of multch. IT is in a south facing area, but is exposed ( im using it as shade for my deck).

I had tons of flowers on it when I bought it, but the thing didnt grow much last summer. IT put out one late season flower, and thats it. Barly any vertical growth at all.

This winter had a few cold nights (-32C was the lowest i recorded one night).

It died back a few inches from the ground, and is growing liek a weed. it has half a dozen flower buds on it, and is already half as tall as last year.

A great suprise !

On Jul 13, 2010, nancy_vl from Kingston in Zone 5b, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

The Crystal Fountain Clematis was the first climbing plant I purchased to grow up the fence around our new inground pool. It grows spectacularly here in zone 4 - 4b (depending on which map you look at). The entire vine is covered with blooms when it flowers. This is farther north than any of the locations listed above. I live in Kingston, Ontario, Canada - about 120 miles north of Syracuse NY, across the St. Lawrence River from Clayton NY and at the west end of the gorgeous Thousand Islands. (We don't have a zip code but I entered my postal code).
I didn't know about pruning after flowering but now that I've learned that from Dave's Garden! I will do that and enjoy a second flowering of this incredible plant.

On Sep 2, 2009, kentstar from Ravenna, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have had better luck with this cultivar than any other clem I have! It survives my cold, snowy winters, my neglect, and anything else I might do to it, without even a hiccup! Beautiful flowers, especially the first flush. The flowers seem to 'sparkle', and are a nice lilac color. It's a keeper for sure. The next flush produced the lilac flowers, combined with some 'pinker' ones. The mix of lilac and pink blooms is stunning!

On May 14, 2009, Pupula from Greenwich, CT wrote:

This plant is already covered in blooms in mid-May in my Greenwich CT zone 6 garden, I planted it last year to cover some ugly pipes on the side of my house it looks beautiful and lush, and is growing in pretty poor soil, bravo Crystal Fountain Clematis.

On Apr 3, 2008, outdoorlover from Enid, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is easy to grow and the flowers are as pretty as the pictures. I have loved having it for the last 2 or 3 years.

On Nov 4, 2006, Shirley1md from Ellicott City, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Also known as 'Evipo038'. Since this Clematis has a compact height, it is perfect for growing in containers or through small shrubs.

On May 24, 2005, linjasar from Upper Saint Clair, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I purchased a bare root, tiny plant via the mail in 2004 (can't remember where I ordered it from). Planted it and crossed my fingers. It's grown over 36 inches so far in 2005 and has one big fat bud very low on the plant, close to the ground. Will add a picture when it blooms.

On Oct 31, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I purchased a small bare root clematis in spring 2004 and it has begun to settle in and grow. No flowering yet, I'm hoping for a show next spring. I'm very excited about it.

Information about this new cultivar reads: "A new and exciting hybrid! The large flowers of lilac blue are fully double with quill-like stamens flowing from the center. Exotic and almost "Passion Flower" like in appearance. A repeat bloomer that will commence in the spring with a few intermittent flowers throughout the summer and another large blooming in the fall. Hardy zones 4 - 9."