Hybrid Tea Rose 'Perfume Delight'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Perfume Delight

Patent expired

Other Details:

Susceptible to black spot

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

By grafting

By budding

Flowers are good for cutting

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Anaheim, California

Merced, California (2 reports)

Oakley, California

Pflugerville, Texas

Spring, Texas

Sulphur Springs, Texas

On May 14, 2013, monniemon from Lansdale, PA wrote:

I purchased Perfume Delight and Fragrant Cloud last season as potted roses from a local store. Fragrant cloud has surpass my expectations while Perfume delight has struggled in my garden. I had to cut away three canes from this rose, it had black spot so badly from last season that the canes itself has it. Its now left with one developed cane and two new basil sprouts, but it looks terrible, to see those black spots of the cane, i think im gonna give it a few months and if it the canes still have the black spotting i will shovel it and replace it with Kordes Perfecta or a 2nd voluptuous. I presently have 125 roses and none of them get blackspotting as bad as Perfume Delight

On Feb 28, 2012, LauraSteele from Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

I purchased and planted this rose in full sun on the windward side of the yard in June of 2011 in my Zone 5 garden. Dug a hole, stuck it in the ground and watered it through the Summer. It sent out 2 or 3 nice blooms that had a nice form and fragrance. I didn't spray it at all but used the Bayer 3 in 1. Love that stuff. It seemed to do fairly well so I "coned" it for winter. We'll have to see what the Spring brings...

On Nov 20, 2010, ConroeConrad from Spring, TX wrote:

Beautiful flowers. Gorgeous smell. Not as prolific in terms of blooming as some others, but it's a lovely rose. The color is so vibrant, and certainly matches the wonderful aroma.

On Apr 11, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 3282 has expired

On Apr 7, 2009, beautifulchaos from Indianapolis, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

This rose smell phenomenal!! I can't comment on growth habit at the moment.

On Jun 11, 2006, GeorgiaJo from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

My first and only Rose - birthday gift from friend. Not sure where to put it in our mostly-shady yard, so put it in a huge tub with some dianthus and glads. Blooming now - only 6 weeks after planting. Smells great.

On Nov 1, 2004, PvillePlanter from Pflugerville, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is my favorite rose in my garden. It is by far the most prolific bloomer and the most fragrant. It blooms continuously from spring to frost. For the first time this year I had some black spot (as I did with all of my roses) due to exceptionally heavy rains in June. I stripped all of the infected leaves and within a month you couldn't tell it ever had a problem. My other roses didn't recover nearly as quickly. The buds are a deep pink, almost red, and then open to a deep rose mauve color. They are fairly long stemmed so they make good cutting roses. The only negative I have ever had with this rose is that it tends to grow in almost too much of an open position which can make it spread a bit too much and become gangly if I don't prune it correctly and relatively severely each wi... read more