PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Stainless Steel'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Stainless Steel
Additional cultivar information: (PP10188, aka WEKblusi)
Hybridized by Carruth; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1991

Class:
Hybrid Tea

Mauve and mauve blend (mb)

Bloom Shape:

Other Details:
Resistant to black spot
Resistant to mildew

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by Calif_Sue

By Kell
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by Kell

Positive Kimmo On Mar 1, 2012, Kimmo from Colorado Springs, CO wrote:

We've had Stainless Steel for 6 years now in Colorado Springs, and it has survived hailstorms, windstorms, and very cold sub zero (-12 degrees) winters and heatwaves against all odds. We use a rose collar made from the newspaper filled with leaves during the winter. Our plant is 5-6 feet high now. This is an exceptionally fragrant lovely rose and blooms repeatedly. It did have thrips last year, but a mild insecticide solved that issue. This year I'm trying organic treatments and hope to avoid thrips, keeping my fingers crossed.

Positive whalloper On May 20, 2011, whalloper from Bear, DE wrote:

I thankfully found this at a local nursery after researching online. I planted in part sun, not the greatest soil, and a little too much clay. We have had rain rain and more rain here ever since. I dont know how, but the plant has 12 buds, 4 of which are opening at the same time. Very fragrant, awesome flower form, awesome color, awesome upright plant nature

Positive spidra On Jun 14, 2007, spidra from Berkeley, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I like the odd color of this one. I needed something that wouldn't clash with my house color (an odd blue) so my flowers are mostly white, blue or lavender. I didn't know when I was siting it that I had a thrips infestation nearby. They took a month or two but they found it. Univ. of CA's IPM says "For example, western flower thrips damage to roses is less of a problem in cultivars with sepals that remain tightly wrapped around the bud until just before blooms open." You should know that Stainless Steel does NOT do this. The sepals open before the bloom.

Still, my impression so far is that this hybrid tea is no more work to care for than most. If you're okay with the work that goes into roses, this is a nice unusual rose with glossy foliage.

Positive DreamOfSpring On Nov 3, 2004, DreamOfSpring from Charleston, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

Rose guides indicate that this variety does not do well in the hot, humid South (where I live). In defiance of the rules, mine is blooming nicely even while being strangled and suffocated by the Sweet Autumn Clematis that has engulfed it. The photo I submitted was taken in mid August (when even the people here are wilting).

Berkeley, California