PlantFiles: Sea Holly
Eryngium planum

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Eryngium (er-RIN-jee-um) (Info)
Species: planum (PLAN-um) (Info)

Violet/Lavender

Silver/Gray

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By poppysue

By Joan
Thumbnail #6 of Eryngium planum by Joan

By Kim_M
Thumbnail #7 of Eryngium planum by Kim_M

Positive quasymoto On Jun 21, 2014, quasymoto from Bloomfield, IA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have had this plant for Several years and I don't know why I planted it with Red Carpet Border lilies, but I did. And now I am thinking I need t dig it out of there as it is getting crowded out. I hope to report back soon that it was successful. I also have one growing under a Chinese spice bush that I may dig out as well, Or do you think I should wait til the other one is dug out and gets Established?

Neutral Spiderfrog On Apr 2, 2010, Spiderfrog from Stoney Creek Ont.

This plant is interesting and happy to have added to my border but it does sprawl and requires stakes to keep its form. I added sand and some gravel to the base and it performed well. Now that it's taller than planned I'll carefully move it to the back

Positive Gabrielle On Aug 11, 2007, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is growing in a poor, somewhat shady area in my yard. Flowers are very interesting; almost look spraypainted!

Blooms June - July in my garden.

Positive MattiN On Feb 18, 2006, MattiN from Nurmijrvi
Finland wrote:

I beliewe that this plant has been grown in Finland for decades if not over a century, it is even too weedy in zone 4, propably even 3. But it is unusual (despite being so common), and removing the seedheads is really not a big trouble - and they make nice cutflowers even at late age. You just have to remember to cut them off, othervise your rockery will be run over by them. I grow it with my grasses, and so far I have left a few blooms to set seed to give the single plant a change to make a few daughters. This species is perhaps underestimated, as it lacks the beuty of some of the other eryngiums. I like the leaves, too.

Positive Joan On Jul 6, 2005, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Add another zone 4 survival here. I know it's rated zone 5, but it seems to be holding it's own in zone 4.

Positive lmelling On Nov 9, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I grow the cultivar "Blaukappe" (Blue Cap), which gives steel tiny silver-blue flowers arranged in round clusters. After flowering the heads become a steel blue and can be cut and dried for use in arrangements. My plants here in zone 5 generally grow to about 2.5' and branch nicely. Looks pretty and contrasts nicely next to lambs ears.

Eryngium has an extremely long taproot and so it is hard to move a larger plant. I have had success with moving smaller "babies" which have self seeded close by. You must dig down quite far and remove as much as the taproot as possible - pot or plant immediately. I have had success in giving away several of the babies - or moving to new locations in this manner. Best to move in early spring. Foliage is a nice deep green and grows close to the ground. Needs full sun and very well drained soil. If soil drainage is optimum, can live through months with rainfall exceeding at least 7."

Positive tervito On Jun 20, 2003, tervito from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

I want to add a note of interest on this plant. Despite a harsh zone 4 winter in Minnesota (-20F and below with no snow until the end of summer) and their being entirely unprotected an on an exposed boulevard, the nine plants that successfully took from seed last year (no bloom of course) have returned and are now starting to bloom. I didn't notice the Zone 5 specification on the seed packet until this year!

Go figure, I have supposedly hardy plants that just up and died despite all manner of pampering, and these babies defy all odds to return.

I have them planted with yarrow, quaking grass, Bells of Ireland, moss roses, and sedum. Looks pretty good.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 31, 2001, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Easily grown in dry, sandy, well-drained soils in full sun. Tolerates poor soils. Self-seeds in optimum growing conditions. Tall plants tend to sprawl, particularly if grown in overly fertile soils or in anything less than full sun. This is a taprooted plant which transplants poorly and is best left undisturbed once established.

Lincoln,
Springfield, Massachusetts
Bellaire, Michigan
Ludington, Michigan
Deer River, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Wrightstown, New Jersey
El Prado, New Mexico
Buffalo, New York (2 reports)
Ithaca, New York