Meyer Lilac 'Palibin'

Syringa meyeri

Family: Oleaceae (oh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Syringa (si-RING-gah) (Info)
Species: meyeri (MY-er-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Palibin

Lexington, Virginia

Menasha, Wisconsin

Stratford, Wisconsin

On Sep 13, 2012, NCMstGardener from Columbus, NC wrote:

This is a great lilac for the South. It is extremely mildew resistant and endures our Zone 7b/8a summer heat and humidity. While it is usually listed as Zone 7 & under, I see this plant thriving in Zone 8b.

On Apr 11, 2011, saltcedar from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Blooms reliably (not always generously) in Central Texas. Requires afternoon shade
and regular watering. Just surviving here is a fete. Slow to size up.

On Feb 2, 2011, RosemaryK from Lexington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I read in Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs that this lilac is underutilized and that he loves it more than many fancier lilacs. He also said it is more shade tolerant than many other lilacs. I've ordered one for this spring planting.

On May 30, 2009, xaia from Kitchener

I purchased this plant today at my local farmer's market. I immediately recognized it as a lilac by its sweet scent and bought a small gallon sized pot to add to my garden. The pretty pink flowers are wonderful for their diminutive size beckons not only the eyes, but the nose to inspect closely and indulge!! Being a northern gardener I almost feel a sense of sadness that I can't grow plants like the Cestrums (renowned for their powerful fragrances) of the sub-tropics/tropics out of doors in the ground (indoors I can grow them and summer them on my deck only to bring them back in again for the fall/winter); however if you compare the two distinctly different and unrelated genera Syringa and Cestrum you will note that they share some similar qualities, regardless of how genetically different... read more

On Jun 8, 2007, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I say negative because of the experiences in my yard but on the whole this plant is one of the easiest to grow and is grown pretty much anywhere quite successfully. In my neighborhood we have a problem with verticillium wilt and the particular strain seems to go after all lilacs if not some other cause. I have lost 4 different types of lilac planted in different places. Id say most likely everyone else will have a good experience with this shrub.

This plant does honestly thrive on neglect. Another cause could be overfertilization. The yard used to be an old farm field and is compact clay. It could be that there is a lot of built up fertilizer in the soil that is burning the plant regardless of what is done for it. I dont know how quickly built up chemicals will get o... read more

On Jul 8, 2006, rfassnacht from Mogadore, OH wrote:

Mine is tree form, so it needs pruned regularly as it becomes top heavy. Very bountiful with blooms and fragrance.

On Dec 9, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

This has to be the most common lilac around nowadays. The growth is compact ( for lilacs ). I have a bad nose, but I can smell these flowers a long ways away. Give this plant some space so you don't have to prune hard on it.

On Apr 21, 2005, rh3708 from Westmoreland, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love this shrub it has a lovely scent and is verry pretty.
I foud a little history on line about it i would like to share:

The Dwarf Korean Lilac, Syringa meyeri 'palibin', is known as a compact but spreading, small-foliaged Lilac with showy late May lavender-purple flowers that are spread over the entire shrub canopy.This deciduous shrub is especially urban tolerant. It is the most common cultivar of the species, valued for its even more compact habit (to 4-6' ). Syringa translates from the Greek as "pipe, in reference to the hollow stems. Meyeri is named after F.N. Meyer, who introduced this species to the United States from Northern China in the early 20th century. It is widely used as a foundation, group planting, informal or formal hedge, or specimen ... read more

On Jan 2, 2005, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

I never met a lilac I didn't like, and many are probably more "gorgeous" than this one, but Syringa meyeri 'Palibin' is so incredibly profuse that it flowers long before other lilacs would even begin, as well as with a dearth of sun that has prevented other lilacs from flowering here. This is not to say that this lilac is shade tolerant, but it only gets half a day's sun and still drenches the garden with its perfume every spring.

It's not really a dwarf, because it will get huge in time; however, it came blooming in its little 4" pot, and repeated that performance every year thereafter. It may have been called a "dwarf" because it doesn't wait a few years to burgeon in size before blooming.

The color, for me, is a pale lilac pink with violet blue shadows in... read more