PlantFiles: Gardenia, Cape Jasmine, Gandharaj
Gardenia jasminoides 'August Beauty'

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Gardenia (gar-DEEN-ya) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: August Beauty

By easter0794
Thumbnail #4 of Gardenia jasminoides by easter0794

By Sibilagorjeana
Thumbnail #5 of Gardenia jasminoides by Sibilagorjeana

Positive GreeneLady On May 21, 2014, GreeneLady from Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have 14 of these planted around a platform deck under a large live oak tree, and they are heavily mulched except for about a 3" diameter circle around the base of the plant. They are constantly kept moist with soaker hoses buried in the mulch and they really seem to appreciate them moisture. When I lived in my last place, I had gardenias in full sun, because that is what the tag that came with the plant recommended. But they always burned up. After reading on Dave's Garden that some growers have had luck with gardenias in the shade, I decided to give it a shot. My foliage is dark green, lush, and glossy, but each plant only gets a few flowers on them. Being that my gardenias are only in their second year, I'm hoping more flowers will form as the shrubs get older. I've had issues with whiteflies, so every other feeding, I give the gardenias a dose of Bayer 3 in 1 granules, which seem to keep them away. When I don't use the bayer, I give them miracid for azeleas. So far so good!

Positive crapoo On May 13, 2013, crapoo from Goldsboro, MD wrote:

I have a 6th generation cape jasmine, thriving very well on Maryland's eastern shore. It was a clipping taken from my great, great, great grandfather's grave in southwest Tennessee. Planted on southern exposure, the plant does very well through the winter.

Positive alzone7 On Jun 18, 2012, alzone7 from Gadsden, AL wrote:

I grow this one in North Alabama zone 7, so I bring it inside in the winter. The blooms are gorgeous with a wonderful scent. Makes a large, but pretty house plant in winter with glossy leaves. Love it.

Positive raerae1 On Dec 22, 2009, raerae1 from Newbury, OH wrote:

I think this is like the gardenia I have. Being in zone 5, I had to bring in this tree standard for the winter. It still has many buds on the plant. However, when each bud is opening, the bud turns tan and isn't the beautiful bloom it has had. Any ideas? I mist it on a daily basis and the light and temperature is good.

Positive selinaoz On Apr 6, 2008, selinaoz from Mooresville, NC wrote:

This is the third spring for this bush. It blooms twice, once in late spring and in the fall. It is planted a few feet from a 100 year old oak ...so it is in the shade mostly. I give it a few shakes of my azeala food for the acid and fertilize it with nursery packaged manure and I put compost around the plant quite a bit. My dog has tried to kill it a few times by digging up around its roots but it survives. It is thriving and beautiful. My neighbor has 6 and she does nothing to hers and they do great.

Positive Pepper810 On Mar 29, 2008, Pepper810 from Calhoun, LA wrote:

I have a nice bush that's been in full sun for 2 years now. It came up from the roots of my mother's bush. Her bush came from a cutting form her mother's bush. As far as I know my bush is either fourth or fifth generation in my family. To me it smells like Summer, because you can smell Mom's bush from the swing in the yard even though it's about 50 feet away. I planted mine so that the wind will blow the fragrance in my kitchen window. I cherish my bush.

Positive Jode On Aug 13, 2007, Jode from Rowlett, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Very nice fragrance. Notes from grower (Hines Horticulture): Grows to 4-6'. Deep green foliage. 2-3" fragrant double white flowers late May through June. Best in filtered shade. Gardenia Jasminoides 'August Beauty'.

Positive jerrymed On May 1, 2007, jerrymed from Charlotte, NC wrote:

MY daughter sent me a beautiful 20gal clay pot with a wooden stand from Crate and Barrel.
So when I was at Lowes today just for some soil mind you I came home with an American Beauty in a 3 gal container.To put in my new clay pot. I have it under a 75% shade condition. I look forward to my 1st Gardenia blooms

Positive greatswede On Sep 24, 2006, greatswede from Lincoln, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I've only had these two 'August Beauty plants in for about 6 months. They are getting full western sun and reflected heat from a stucco wall. They are about 36 inches tall. I had planned on moving them but they kept surviving our summer without any stress. This summer got up to 116F. Pittosporum Tobira 'Edward Goucher plants were burning up but these two Gardenias did great and even bloomed although not that much. Doesn't figure that they would do so well.

Positive guardians On Aug 29, 2006, guardians from Thomson, GA wrote:

I planted a one gallon specimen in mid June, and was rewarded with my first bloom August 28th. Incredible fragrance and lovely green foliage. I have six of these planted on opposite sides of my deck, receiving full sun except for late afternoon. I will be planting more of these.

Positive Karrie20x On Jun 30, 2005, Karrie20x from Spokane, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I grow this up North, but bring it indoors in the wintertime as a houseplant. Because we have alkaline water, I add two teaspoons of vinegar per gallon of water to give it the type of water that it needs. I also fertilize it with Miracle Grow Acid Fertilizer.

Mobile, Alabama
San Anselmo, California
San Clemente, California
Denver, Colorado
Auburndale, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)
Lake Worth, Florida
Miami, Florida (2 reports)
Oldsmar, Florida
Orange Park, Florida
Pensacola, Florida
Pompano Beach, Florida
Port Saint Joe, Florida
Riverview, Florida
Seffner, Florida
Spring Hill, Florida
Tampa, Florida (2 reports)
Decatur, Georgia
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Fortson, Georgia
Marietta, Georgia
Ringgold, Georgia
Thomson, Georgia
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)
Calhoun, Louisiana
Mooresville, North Carolina
Oak Island, North Carolina
Wilmington, North Carolina
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Bluffton, South Carolina (2 reports)
Florence, South Carolina
Leesville, South Carolina
North Augusta, South Carolina
Jackson, Tennessee
Moscow, Tennessee
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Deer Park, Texas (2 reports)
Fort Worth, Texas (3 reports)
Frisco, Texas