Gardenia, Cape Jasmine, Gandharaj
Gardenia jasminoides 'August Beauty'

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Gardenia (gar-DEEN-ya) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: August Beauty

San Anselmo, California

San Clemente, California

Denver, Colorado

Auburndale, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)

Lake Worth, Florida

Miami, Florida (2 reports)

Oldsmar, Florida

Orange Park, Florida

Pensacola, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida

Port Saint Joe, Florida

Riverview, Florida

Seffner, Florida

Spring Hill, Florida

Tampa, Florida (2 reports)

Decatur, Georgia

Flowery Branch, Georgia

Fortson, Georgia

Marietta, Georgia

Ringgold, Georgia

Thomson, Georgia

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Calhoun, Louisiana

Mooresville, North Carolina

Oak Island, North Carolina

Wilmington, North Carolina

Winston Salem, North Carolina

Bluffton, South Carolina (2 reports)

Florence, South Carolina

Leesville, South Carolina

North Augusta, South Carolina

Jackson, Tennessee

Moscow, Tennessee

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Deer Park, Texas (2 reports)

Fort Worth, Texas (3 reports)

Frisco, Texas

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Dupont, Washington

Spokane, Washington

On May 21, 2014, GreeneLady from Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have 14 of these planted around a platform deck under a large live oak tree, and they are heavily mulched except for about a 3" diameter circle around the base of the plant. They are constantly kept moist with soaker hoses buried in the mulch and they really seem to appreciate them moisture. When I lived in my last place, I had gardenias in full sun, because that is what the tag that came with the plant recommended. But they always burned up. After reading on Dave's Garden that some growers have had luck with gardenias in the shade, I decided to give it a shot. My foliage is dark green, lush, and glossy, but each plant only gets a few flowers on them. Being that my gardenias are only in their second year, I'm hoping more flowers will form as the shrubs get older. I've had issues with ... read more

On May 13, 2013, crapoo from Goldsboro, MD wrote:

I have a 6th generation cape jasmine, thriving very well on Maryland's eastern shore. It was a clipping taken from my great, great, great grandfather's grave in southwest Tennessee. Planted on southern exposure, the plant does very well through the winter.

On Jun 18, 2012, alzone7 from Gadsden, AL wrote:

I grow this one in North Alabama zone 7, so I bring it inside in the winter. The blooms are gorgeous with a wonderful scent. Makes a large, but pretty house plant in winter with glossy leaves. Love it.

On Dec 22, 2009, raerae1 from Newbury, OH wrote:

I think this is like the gardenia I have. Being in zone 5, I had to bring in this tree standard for the winter. It still has many buds on the plant. However, when each bud is opening, the bud turns tan and isn't the beautiful bloom it has had. Any ideas? I mist it on a daily basis and the light and temperature is good.

On Apr 6, 2008, selinaoz from Mooresville, NC wrote:

This is the third spring for this bush. It blooms twice, once in late spring and in the fall. It is planted a few feet from a 100 year old oak ...so it is in the shade mostly. I give it a few shakes of my azeala food for the acid and fertilize it with nursery packaged manure and I put compost around the plant quite a bit. My dog has tried to kill it a few times by digging up around its roots but it survives. It is thriving and beautiful. My neighbor has 6 and she does nothing to hers and they do great.

On Mar 29, 2008, Pepper810 from Calhoun, LA wrote:

I have a nice bush that's been in full sun for 2 years now. It came up from the roots of my mother's bush. Her bush came from a cutting form her mother's bush. As far as I know my bush is either fourth or fifth generation in my family. To me it smells like Summer, because you can smell Mom's bush from the swing in the yard even though it's about 50 feet away. I planted mine so that the wind will blow the fragrance in my kitchen window. I cherish my bush.

On Aug 13, 2007, Jode from Rowlett, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Very nice fragrance. Notes from grower (Hines Horticulture): Grows to 4-6'. Deep green foliage. 2-3" fragrant double white flowers late May through June. Best in filtered shade. Gardenia Jasminoides 'August Beauty'.

On May 1, 2007, jerrymed from Charlotte, NC wrote:

MY daughter sent me a beautiful 20gal clay pot with a wooden stand from Crate and Barrel.
So when I was at Lowes today just for some soil mind you I came home with an American Beauty in a 3 gal container.To put in my new clay pot. I have it under a 75% shade condition. I look forward to my 1st Gardenia blooms

On Sep 24, 2006, greatswede from Lincoln, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I've only had these two 'August Beauty plants in for about 6 months. They are getting full western sun and reflected heat from a stucco wall. They are about 36 inches tall. I had planned on moving them but they kept surviving our summer without any stress. This summer got up to 116F. Pittosporum Tobira 'Edward Goucher plants were burning up but these two Gardenias did great and even bloomed although not that much. Doesn't figure that they would do so well.

On Aug 29, 2006, guardians from Thomson, GA wrote:

I planted a one gallon specimen in mid June, and was rewarded with my first bloom August 28th. Incredible fragrance and lovely green foliage. I have six of these planted on opposite sides of my deck, receiving full sun except for late afternoon. I will be planting more of these.

On Jun 30, 2005, Karrie20x from Spokane, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I grow this up North, but bring it indoors in the wintertime as a houseplant. Because we have alkaline water, I add two teaspoons of vinegar per gallon of water to give it the type of water that it needs. I also fertilize it with Miracle Grow Acid Fertilizer.